• Register Today It's free!

ABS Module Issue

tonydmm2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi All,

2005 ford explorer xlt v8, 140k miles.

I'm having a problem where when I turn left slowly the car makes an awful grinding sound. I'm pretty sure its an ABS problem.

This all started last year when I replaced my wheel bearing assemblies that came with new abs sensor cables. It started after about 50 miles, when I pulled into the parking lot, it made this awful grinding sound. It was intermittent for about a year, it slowly got worse. Just recently the traction control light started illuminating on left turns and the car would just die in the middle of the turn. I finally measured the ohms on the Precision branded Napa purchased speed sensor, it showed 4.5 mega ohms. Napa replaced this under warranty, (with 1 day left on the 1 year warranty, lol). but they made me get the whole wheel bearing assembly. I paid an extra $90 for the upgraded assy, SKF brand with a 3 year warranty. I tested the resistance on the new one and it showed an open circuit, I assumed that my test meter was bad, so I installed it anyways, and sure enough, the abs & traction control problems were worse than ever. So I went back and got another replacement, it shows 2.1 mega ohms, I think 1.5 mega ohms is supposed to be normal, but I installed it. The traction control problem is gone, but I'm still getting the abs grinding sound during the left turns.

I purchased some scanner software and it was displaying the 4 speed sensors speed while driving, they all show good data up to 80 mph, but during the slow left turn at about 15 mph the grinding noise occurs, all 4 sensors went to 0 during the problem noise. (It also shows the abs module with no error codes).

I'm thinking this indicates a bad abs control module or a short in the circuit, because all 4 sensors went to zero during the slow left turn malfunction event.

Any suggestions? There's like 200 parameters associated with the abs module, but I'm not sure which ones to monitor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

2005 ford explorer xlt v8, 140k miles.

I'm having a problem where when I turn left slowly the car makes an awful grinding sound. I'm pretty sure its an ABS problem.

This all started last year when I replaced my wheel bearing assemblies that came with new abs sensor cables. It started after about 50 miles, when I pulled into the parking lot, it made this awful grinding sound. It was intermittent for about a year, it slowly got worse. Just recently the traction control light started illuminating on left turns and the car would just die in the middle of the turn. I finally measured the ohms on the Precision branded Napa purchased speed sensor, it showed 4.5 mega ohms. Napa replaced this under warranty, (with 1 day left on the 1 year warranty, lol). but they made me get the whole wheel bearing assembly. I paid an extra $90 for the upgraded assy, SKF brand with a 3 year warranty. I tested the resistance on the new one and it showed an open circuit, I assumed that my test meter was bad, so I installed it anyways, and sure enough, the abs & traction control problems were worse than ever. So I went back and got another replacement, it shows 2.1 mega ohms, I think 1.5 mega ohms is supposed to be normal, but I installed it. The traction control problem is gone, but I'm still getting the abs grinding sound during the left turns.

I purchased some scanner software and it was displaying the 4 speed sensors speed while driving, they all show good data up to 80 mph, but during the slow left turn at about 15 mph the grinding noise occurs, all 4 sensors went to 0 during the problem noise. (It also shows the abs module with no error codes).

I'm thinking this indicates a bad abs control module or a short in the circuit, because all 4 sensors went to zero during the slow left turn malfunction event.

Any suggestions? There's like 200 parameters associated with the abs module, but I'm not sure which ones to monitor.

I fixed it finally. As a last ditch effort before taking it to the stealership, I decided to swap the front left and right sensors to see if the problem migrated to the right side. When I removed the right front sensor (it came with my Amazon purchased Moog bearing) it was covered with gook. I cleaned it off and then completed the sensor swap. Problem solved, after about a year of intermittent problems, phew.

What exactly was covered in goop? I'm having that problem with my sensor. I kno the hub bering is good cause I replaced both not too long ago.

@LoKo498
Wheel speed sensors are "gooked" up at the assembly location, when they are inserted into the hubs. The gook is actually grease intended to isolate and prevent the sensor head from the effects of corrosion of the steel hub. Switching one gooked up sensor to another wheel does not seem to provide a logical fix idea, IMO. imp

@LoKo498
Wheel speed sensors are "gooked" up at the assembly location, when they are inserted into the hubs. The gook is actually grease intended to isolate and prevent the sensor head from the effects of corrosion of the steel hub. Switching one gooked up sensor to another wheel does not seem to provide a logical fix idea, IMO. imp

Then it must have been the cable routing under the exhaust manifold. When i swapped cables i used a slightly different path.

Back