• Register Today It's free!

ABS problem

HERN51

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The ABS light on my 1999 XLT - V8 - Automatic with a/c recently came on. Should I attempt to make this repair my self or take to a repair shop. If I attempt the repair myself where do I start and how do I proceed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. You probably have an ABS sensor that has gone bad. Do a search for ABS; you will find many threads about it. Have you plugged in a scanner to try and get any codes? That too will help narrow down the problem.

Most likely one of your hub assemblies has gone bad.

Welcome to this forum! ABS sensors pick up metal filings because they have a built in magnet. This will cause problems eventually. Check the sensors, and try to find out what the code numbers are before you replace any parts.

I'm no expert, but just to be safe, make sure your year truck wasn't effected in that brake master cylinder recall. My ABS light also came on, had dealer do a scan. They said it was a rear wheel sensor and replaced it. Then they couldn't turn the abs light out, told me it is probably the gem module as the cause. About a week later I came in off the road with my transport, went to get into my Explorer and smelt something burnt. Opened the hood and found a melted master cylinder, resevoir and wiring. Apparently they were having problems with the abs electrical switch there on the master buring up. I can't recall which years were effected though.

I wasnt aware of recall, when did you have it performed? I have a 95 also since new, and the only recall I can think of receiving was for sway bar links.

Re: ABS sensors, fronts are inside hub assembly I believe and it is cheaper to replace the entire hub assembly than the $200 sensor. I have the slow stop false ABS activation.. No lights, no codes. It pulls to the left my assumption is left sensor is bad.

I had the master cylinder fire last fall. Dealer told me about the recall. We couldn't get Ford to cover mine though. Even though 95's were included and I had the exact problem of the recall, Ford said my serial number was not one that should have been affected. Imagine that. I even phoned Ford corporate customer care. They only told me to try and have my auto insurance cover it. Ya, right.
Anyway, I know it covered a run of 95's and there were other years and models involved, so you'd have to contact Ford. Sorry I don't know more, but it's been a while.

SGM,
thanks for the info. I recently talked to Ford service and I did not have any outstanding recalls. I wont even waste my time calling Ford. Would be totally worthless. Your story says it all. Recall on 1995 Explorers, u experience the failure, and yet its not part of the recall. Call your insurance actually means go pound sand.....

I have a 98 Sport and 2 years ago had the recall repair done at a local dealer. I changed both hub/ bearing assemblies in December and now I'm having ABS light come on but mostly in wet weather. Prior to the light coming on, I hear a chatter sound and the truck pulls to the left...the light comes on and truck seems to brake well then. If I shut it off and start again , its like it has reset something because the light is out and I get the chatter and pull again and light comes on. Sensor wires are intact on both sides but I feel its electrical

Back