• Register Today It's free!

ABS Sensors

masterpete

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLS
Ok I have my truck apart right now trying to figure out how to check my abs sensors. Ive tried with an ohm meter and it shows nothing. Am I doing something wrong or am i checking the worng part? Im checking the part that comes off the wheel bearing.

Thanks,
Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when you say "nothing", do you means "0 ohms" or doing mean the meter doesn't do anything. It is most likely "0 ohms" as the sensors aren't "resistive", they are inductors.

when you say "nothing", do you means "0 ohms" or doing mean the meter doesn't do anything. It is most likely "0 ohms" as the sensors aren't "resistive", they are inductors.

Yeah one of my bearings were bad so i just changed both sides while i was at it and it came with the sensors so i changed then. Brakes work fine now, but abs light is still on and i dont know if i hear the abs motor working.

that's a tough one then as it takes a "bit" more to test them... most people don't have the means. You are probably going to have to get the abs scanned to see what it is complaining about. Make sure the connection / connectors are good. I assume that you are not talking about a 4wd drive as the sensors are "integrated" with the bearing hub assembly. If that is the case (ie 2wd), then also make sure that the rings (teeth) on each wheel that go by the sensors are clean.

that's a tough one then as it takes a "bit" more to test them... most people don't have the means. You are probably going to have to get the abs scanned to see what it is complaining about. Make sure the connection / connectors are good. I assume that you are not talking about a 4wd drive as the sensors are "integrated" with the bearing hub assembly. If that is the case (ie 2wd), then also make sure that the rings (teeth) on each wheel that go by the sensors are clean.

It is a 4wd and the hubs did come with the sensors. I changed them today. I had a problem with my abs as when i almost came to a complete stop the pedal would go down further. I took it to the shop and they said it was the abs motor. I tested the motor and it works. I had to replace the driver side hub/bearing so i just decided to do both sides while i was at it. Changed that and hooked up the new plug and now the pedal doesnt go down anymore. I will have to take it into Another shop to scan it as this other one is crappy.

Thanks

thank for the extra info.... I suspect that you might have air in your system but hopefully a scan will show something more definitive. From "playing" with your hubs, you probably had to compress your calipers to remove things to get at the hubs. This might have "moved bubbles" around a bit to "help" things (ie. feel). However, if you get air in the abs module / controller, I think the problem is difficult to remedy compared to non-abs (ie. simple bleeding).

Back