• Register Today It's free!

abs thump at slow stop.

Paul hobbs

Reaction score
City, State
Santee, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I replaced the front wheel bearings and master cylinder. Master cylinder was fading at full stop. Pressure bled brakes. Now I have a bump and slight buzz in the abs system during a slow stop, around 3 to 5 mph. The brake pedal bumps slightly and the wheel will turn left slightly. I don't have any warning lights Brakes are firm and no fade. Brakes work perfect until I get almost to a stop. If I creep up on a stop, that is when it bumps and buzzes. and the brake pedal sinks slightly. Any Ideas why? 2WD XLT Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect something in the ABS sensor or wiring is not quite right. Is it possible you damaged a sensor? Grease or dirt contaminating it?

You might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if it will reset.

What were the issues you had before replacing the bearings? Did you have an ABS warning light displayed with old bearings ?

Which brings up another question, does the abs light illuminate when you first turn the key on?

I 2nd the ABS. My father had a 2000 Mountaineer in which the pedal would sink to the floor once the truck was at about 3 to 5 mph. The shop replaced the master cylinder, still the same problem. The shop test drove it with their ABS computer connected and could see when 1 sensor stopped sending a signal. Replaced that sensor and no more problems.

3rd the ABS, my 01 was doing this exact thing occasionally, was a bad ABS sensor in the rear axle, changed it, problem solved

I replaced the front wheel bearings and master cylinder. Master cylinder was fading at full stop. Pressure bled brakes. Now I have a bump and slight buzz in the abs system during a slow stop, around 3 to 5 mph. The brake pedal bumps slightly and the wheel will turn left slightly. I don't have any warning lights Brakes are firm and no fade. Brakes work perfect until I get almost to a stop. If I creep up on a stop, that is when it bumps and buzzes. and the brake pedal sinks slightly. Any Ideas why? 2WD XLT Explorer

Mine did the same thing. I replaced the sensors but it ended up being the actual rotors themselves. The abs tone rings inside of the rotors weren't working anymore. Hopefully it's only the sensors on yours.

Sorry for the delay....I found the problem. When I seated the grease seal after replacing the wheel bearing, the tone ring popped up about .050. It was rubbing on the sensor in about a 2 inch sector. Took a brass drift punch to the seating collar of the ring, checked it with a straight edge, and put it back together. Works fine now.
Thanks for the input, guys!

Back