ABS, Traction Control, and Advance Trac lights after brake job? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS, Traction Control, and Advance Trac lights after brake job?

JeffreyRopp

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Just had my front brakes done at a local shop (Discount Tire Centers, not dealer). They replaced pads and rotors on my Eddie Bauer 2004 v8 4x4 Explorer.

The next day, I suddenly had ABS, Traction Control, and Advance Trac lights all illuminated in the dashboard. The shop told me they found error codes C1998 and C2769 but that they were completely unrelated and could not further diagnose. They suggested I take it to the dealer to "flash" the ABS controller and have in depth diagnostics performed.

So I went back to the dealer. For $89 (applicable to any repair work), they verified the initial error codes and performed pin point test "H" and "H3". Their notes:

monitored lateral acceleration PID specifications valve is between -.0007 and .0007. Actual reading was -.156. Visually inspected accelerometer connections - OK.

They are saying the accelerometer needs to be replaced (part # 3LIZ-#C187-AA) for $696.62

So now my questions:
Did Discount Tire Center screw something up?
Is the diagnosis by the dealer probably correct?
Is the work really that expensive?
Could I have it done elsewhere?

Thanks VERY much for your thoughts!
Jeff

The next day, I suddenly had ABS, Traction Control, and Advance Trac lights all illuminated in the dashboard. The shop told me they found error codes C1998 and C2769 but that they were completely unrelated and could not further diagnose.
Jeff

The C2769 is a Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Circuit Failure and the C1998 means that there was an ABS code that was cleared but the Ford calibration was not done. Those codes are related.

I don't want to 100% say that they really messed something up, but if your car goes in for a simple front brake/rotor job, then there should be no codes that pop up, especially for an accelerometer (unless it was just unlucky that it went bad).
The other thing that they could check is the ABS module for unplugged wires, or even broken wires, which would throw errors.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/staying-on-track/ is some more reading on the Ford RSC/AdvanceTrac and the errors you got.

As for having it done somewhere other than a dealer, you would need somebody with the Ford proprietary system to clear all the error codes, otherwise the "check advance trac" would still illuminate for a C1998 (Calibration Module Incomplete).

Back