ABS, Traction Control, and Wrench light turn on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS, Traction Control, and Wrench light turn on

Jamirez301

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys

I've owned my 2006 Ford Explorer XLT for a few months now and I'm starting to have problems with it.

A few weeks ago I had my brakes changed and had no issues prior to that. The first startup after changing the brakes I was doing a test drive when I noticed the wrench light illuminated. By the time I got back home, the light turned off. Fast forward a few weeks later, I was about 40 minutes away from home when the ABS and Traction Control light illuminated for the first time as well as the Wrench light. After driving a few blocks, all the lights turned off and I thought it was just a small error. For this past week, all three lights, ABS, Traction Control, and Wrench illuminated and the problem got worse. Every time I turn the car on and start to drive, the car starts to jump as the Traction Control light flashes on and off and then a few seconds later the ABS and Wrench light turn on and all the lights stay on, which then the car drives normal. The lights do not turn off until I turn the car off then back on. Nonetheless, the lights still come on after every startup. I have no idea what this could be and I would love if anyone can help me out. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the have the codes read. It's one of the ABS sensors acting up.
The code will tell you which wheel is the culprit.
Check ABS rings on the rear CV shafts for cracks.
Very common problem on Explorers.

You have the have the codes read. It's one of the ABS sensors acting up.
The code will tell you which wheel is the culprit.
Check ABS rings on the rear CV shafts for cracks.
Very common problem on Explorers.

Update: I have yet to have the codes read, but I noticed that the ABS ring on the rear right side is loose. I felt around the ring and it seems to have snapped. I believe this is the reason why the lights on the dash are lighting up. I will update again once I purchase the new ABS ring and install it.

That's probably it .....

Make sure you check the other side. Both rings were cracked when I had similar issues.

Replacement rings are much thicker.

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, the tone right on the rear right side was cracked and we replaced the CV axle with a new tone ring and I no longer have this issue.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Back