ABS, traction management, brake lights on after battery replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS, traction management, brake lights on after battery replacement

Wingnutr

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Hello,

Newb here, I tried searching but can't find the results I am looking for or maybe I still don't know how to search properly on this forums. But my concern is that after recently replacing my dead battery the warning lights for ABS, hill descend, traction management, and brakes went on. I tried removing the (-) terminal for a few minutes, both terminals for 10 min but the lights still come on after turning the ignition on. I have a Carista app but it does not support this vehicle. So my question is, is there an option to reset the battery management without going to the dealer or without even using an OBD scan tool? In regards to using an OBD scanner, is there an iOS App that can use the Carista Dongle that can reset the warning lights mentioned above? I tried Auto Doctor and I can't find a way to detect and clear the errors.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BMS isn't going to knock out those systems--if the BMS were an issue normally this is characterized by a load shed message (LOW BATTERY LESS FEATURES / Turn Engine On to Save Battery, etc)

FORScan can provide this service of resetting the BCM's BMS parameters (age parameters notwithstanding), but otherwise after 8 hours or so of sitting idle, off, and undisturbed the BMS will recalibrate to the new battery.

Will let others chime in with ultimate fixes.

Hello,

Newb here, I tried searching but can't find the results I am looking for or maybe I still don't know how to search properly on this forums. But my concern is that after recently replacing my dead battery the warning lights for ABS, hill descend, traction management, and brakes went on. I tried removing the (-) terminal for a few minutes, both terminals for 10 min but the lights still come on after turning the ignition on. I have a Carista app but it does not support this vehicle. So my question is, is there an option to reset the battery management without going to the dealer or without even using an OBD scan tool? In regards to using an OBD scanner, is there an iOS App that can use the Carista Dongle that can reset the warning lights mentioned above? I tried Auto Doctor and I can't find a way to detect and clear the errors.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe 3 of the 4 warnings seem to be mentioned in the threads on the issue of power steering loss. Seeing as they popped up after the battery was replaced, I would think the warnings are probably linked to that. I think perhaps clearing the codes and letting the vehicle sit as thefranchise713 mentioned would be the first step in seeing if the codes stay OFF. Any chance the place that you bought your battery from can clear the codes and do the BMS reset?

Peter

Thanks for the replies, I tried resting the vehicle for more than 12 hours but the errors are still there. The shop where I got the battery from does not have a diagnostic tool, unfortunately.
From my understanding FORScan does not support Bluetooth connection with a wireless OBD dongle, does it?

I would also like to add that I jump started the car before replacing the battery to get home. The battery was delivered and replaced under warranty as it was replaced previously after less than a year of use. The car drives normally except for the loss of ABS, hill descend, AWD, and traction control functions.

If I get the FORScan lite together with this dongle will I be able to clear the codes?

You can use FORScan with a BT or WiFi dongle--but you have more functionality with FORScan on a PC. FORScan won't support a BT dongle on an iPhone--an Apple restriction if I recall correctly regarding certified devices.

With the PC version you can do self-tests--which are probably what will clear the codes.

I got alarms this morning and i replaced the battrey but still the errors showing. Need help ??

FORscan did not clear the errors in my Explorer so I am still searching for a solution as well.

If the codes come back after clear/refuse to erase even with the clear DTC command, now we need to start tracing the failure. What are the code(s)? Apologies if you posted them previously.

Ok after i changed the battrey. And stop the car for one night next morning the errors gone. Car is normal now. Check the battrey.

Ok after i changed the battrey. And stop the car for one night next morning the errors gone. Car is normal now. Check the battrey.
If I interpret correctly what I have read before, unless you reset the BMS (Battery Maintenance System) it will still think that your battery is much older than it is. It will retain the information from the last reset. This might lead to you getting premature warnings related to the battery.

Peter

When I did the FORscan reset this is what I saw:
Code: U3000 - Control Module

Additional Fault Symptom:
- General Checksum Failure

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 170246165 sec - Global real time
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 12.30 Volt - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 0.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed.

I tried ABS Module reset but still no go.

What was the resolution to this issue?

What was the resolution to this issue?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member Wingnutr hasn't been seen here since August 13, 2018.

Peter

To any who find this thread while looking for a fix just like I did, I have just went though this same issue (abs and all other lights associated with it on after a battery replacement) and I managed to figure out a fix. What you need to do is select the "calibrate longitudinal acceleration sensor" in forscan and follow the procedure (it is very simple and forscan holds your hand through it) I tried the "abs module reset" multiple times but that did nothing. I did not find this specific set of steps to follow as a fix to this anywhere else on the internet. If you want further directions or clarifications to how exactly I did it, reply!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious as to whether or not you let the Explorer sit undisturbed for 8 hours and or reset the BMS?

Peter

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just curious as to whether or not you let the Explorer sit undisturbed for 8 hours and or reset the BMS?

Peter
did not reset the BMS but yes, I did let the car sit undisturbed overnight and disconnected the battery and whatnot the next day. I even drove it in for a couple days with the ABS light on and it would not go away just by itself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To any who find this thread while looking for a fix just like I did, I have just went though this same issue (abs and all other lights associated with it on after a battery replacement) and I managed to figure out a fix. What you need to do is select the "calibrate longitudinal acceleration sensor" in forscan and follow the procedure (it is very simple and forscan holds your hand through it) I tried the "abs module reset" multiple times but that did nothing. I did not find this specific set of steps to follow as a fix to this anywhere else on the internet. If you want further directions or clarifications to how exactly I did it, reply!
Which scan tool did you use with the Forscan software? I’ve read reviews for many on Amazon and some do not seem to work. I’m having the same issues in a 2013 Explorer after a dead battery changeout. Thanks

Back