• Register Today It's free!

ABS Warning Light

josh75

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
The yellow ABS warning light came on in my 2001 explorer sport. I'm told by someone that it's probably just a sensor. As an engineer, I like to do things myself whenever I can... I looked into the repair... It appears that it's integral to the wheel hub. Can anyone tell me the complexity of replacing the wheel hub and if it's the same type of repair for front and rear?

Another question... in order to find the faulty sensor, will the trouble code from the computer tell me which sensor(s) it is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I believe that the abs code will tell what sensor is not working, but the standard ODBII code reader won't read the ABS code.

There is also a sensor in the rear differential that could be acting up. I'd look for any loose wires first around the front hubs and the rear diff.

welcome aboard

If you don't see any loose wires, you might want to replace the rear sensor for the heck of it. I replaced mine about a year ago and I have a 2000. You're probably due. I think it's around $15 and you just need a 10mm (give or take) socket to get it out. Ask the parts guy for a rear ABS sensor.

You'll be reaching up there blind because it's on top of the rear differential, but not tough at all. I'd just get a rag and scrub around the sensor before you unbolt it so no rust or dirt falls into the hole. Also, be gentle remove the wire from the old sensor so the wires/clip doesn't break.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

you can run an ohm test on them too. should be around 1.09 to 1.7 I think. Check the specs though to be sure.

hey everyone... thanks for all of your feedback. its all good information. i'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.
thanks again.
-josh

When the rear ABS sensor is changed, and if it is the problem. Will the ABS light turn off automatically or do you need to reset it some how?

If I recall, nothing needed to reset other than turning the truck back on.

RE: the light having to be reset... I'll let you know what I find out... probably be a week or two before I get to it though ;)
Thanks

Ford told me it was my rear sensor. Replaced it but the light is still on. Any guess? Disconnected my battery for over an hour and still on. Would only one sensor show up at the dealership, even if two were bad?

Just replaced my rear sensor for an ABS light on. Light went off on its own.

Old sensor = open circuit
New sensor = 1800 ohms

my light came on and come to find out it was a speed sensor......

would changing the tire size affect the speed sensor? My abs light came on & staying on, this evening, but I changed the tires 1.5 weeks ago. I am changing the lower ball joints this weekend, what should I be looking for (abs) while I am doing this?

I looked into the repair... It appears that it's integral to the wheel hub.

That is not true. The front sensors can be replaced separately. They are stupid expensive from Ford, but a heck of a lot less than a factory bearing assy. Look the part up in Motorcraft.

Is there a detail instructions on how to test each sensor, computer or wiring? I have searched but did not find anything.

Thanks

There is. It's in the factory service manual. They want you to use a break out box, but it's not necessary to check sensor readings as long as the wiring is good from the sensor connector to the ABS module. I don't have a digital copy of the manual. Maybe someone here does that can copy it to a post.

Back