• Register Today It's free!

AC blower dies under acceleration

SparkyF250

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
My 05 Explorer AC blower shuts down pulling hills or under acceleration. Sucks when it's hot and you're pulling a long grade. Anyone else have this problem. Oh yeah, it's fully charged and has a new blower motor resistor. It works fine other than acceleration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blower should still work, but the AC compressor does turn off when you use full throttle.

The blower should still work, but the AC compressor does turn off when you use full throttle.
Thought maybe the compressor might be commanded off for power but yeah, I get nothing. Kinda frustrating

If the vents stop blowing also at high throttle, that may be a new feature of Fords. But in general the air should still blow at all times. The AC clutch shuts off because it's powered by a relay that is triggered by the engine computer. So that you can't easily change even if you wanted to. I would look into the vents not blowing air though, you want that to work no matter what the engine is doing.

If the vents stop blowing also at high throttle, that may be a new feature of Fords. But in general the air should still blow at all times. The AC clutch shuts off because it's powered by a relay that is triggered by the engine computer. So that you can't easily change even if you wanted to. I would look into the vents not blowing air though, you want that to work no matter what the engine is doing.
I agree, just wondering where to start

Be sure the dash unit is working when you think it should be, the display on etc, and when it seems to stop or intermittently quit working. I would be curious to know if that is a normal function, or just your truck, or certain Fords etc. Depending on what is going on, I'd set about to fix it, or alter it to work as I want it to. If for some reason the WOT relay is also powering the main dash AC controls, that would just take changing the power source for that circuit.

Back