• Register Today It's free!

AC blower

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Hey guys Im having an issue with my AC blower motor.

Just the other day, I went to turn it on and the motor wouldnt come on at any speed. After I had driven a ways, it started to work just fine. When I left my destination later that night, it did the same thing.

I didnt work when I started driving, but after a while it worked fine. Theres no draw on the electrical system if I turn the knob and it doesnt come on, and the voltage gauge is rock steady.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could just be the switch or the connector to the switch.turn the blower knob to the first postion if it does'nt work then try to turn the knob to one higher setting with out actually placeing it in the next speed...kinda rock the knob between postions.....could be that the contacts are crapped out ,being behind the dash ...have you seen under there .....it's a collect-all for dirt and dust .reason i say that is that i had some door switches go bad like that ,took them apart and it look like the inside of a pocket of someones jacket .

Have you tried the fan switch in all positions with the a/c in the off position as well as the on position? Any difference a/c off as opposed to being on? Any other electrical circuits appear to be dead like dash lights or the illumination lamp for the heater controls?

It doesnt work, no matter if the AC is on or off.

Wiggling fuses and wires doesnt fix it either. Not sure why it works after driving a while.

I was going to check the resistor thing, but the symptoms dont seem to indicate that as the problem.

Just a thinking about something, is it noisy when it does run?

I ask this because mine sucked up a whole bunch of insulation from the cabin filter thing, and it made it really noisy when it was running. Although, it still worked fine though. Just something you might check.

Doesnt make noise, but I'll check to make sure its not clogged.

Check the connections to the blower motor, especially at the resistor and the multi-pin connector near the blower motor. the pins can get corroded causing enough resistance to heat up and melt the plastic and insulation.

apparently the issue is in the power distribution box.....I started the truck and popped the hood, and the blower wasnt working...then I tapped the box and the blower came on....

any ideas...?

+1.....Relay.

Sounds like the same thing I had to deal with a while back. The relay was less than $10.

Aloha, Mark

Fair enough. Thanks guys!

I agree with the relay. I had the exact same problem, the blower wouldn't come on but then as I would drive it would suddenly start. I talked to a few people about it, then read somewhere about the relay. I went to the local dealer, and when I found it was only $10-15 I figured what the heck. Plugged it in and its worked fine now for 2 years.

Back