• Register Today It's free!

AC Blowing Cold...Now Warm!

97Explorer5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer EB
I have a 1997 5.0 V8 and recently recharged the AC system which resulted in vast improvement. Yesterday, I flushed and filled the radiator with coolant which requires running the heater on high for 10 minutes. Upon completion, the AC is blowing warm again. Does anyone know if running the heat has any affect on the AC freon level? Is there a relationship between the two? Or maybe the timing was just coincidental and I have a leak in my system. Please advise.

JC

97, no relation. I would bet apples to appricots that your problem is with your A/C's accumulator. This is the soda bottle looking tank on the Passenger side of your engine near the firewall (in front of the lunchbox covered in silver foil). This tank has a rubber/neoprene "blanket" around it. This blanket is known to trap moisture and cause the accumulator to rust out, causing you to leak fluid.

Peel back the blanket near the top and take a look, I bet its rusted and holey. I only know because I am having the same problem right now. I plan to replace the accumulator during the winter so that next summer I don't constantly have to replace the Coolant.

Back