ac bypass belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ac bypass belt

poppajeff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
Hi, I drive a 99 4.0 SOHC explorer. My ac clutch and/or compresser is wacked, it grinds, get hot and smokes. I read in the forum that i can bypass the ac and an appropriate belt is available...can anyone give me a size or part number for the correct belt? I am not ready to replace the compressor so a non ac pully is not an option at this point.
Thanks for helping out a newby
jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get the bypass pulley from LMC. It bolts right where the a/c compressor used to be so that you can use the same belt as stock.

^ i dont think he wants to remove the comp, just bypass it temp.

you can get a shorter belt, it will work fine, dont know what size that would be, sorry.

try some in store parking lot til you find right one.
the part numbers usually indicate the length.

:)

I didn't see that part.

If your compressor is already doing that, your a/c is shot. If you just throw a new compressor in there it's going to fail from the system being contaminated. Even an a/c flush can only remove so much. So for compressor failure, you're looking at replacing the accumulator, orifice tube, and hoses.

From Ford: MOTORCRAFT Warranty Information
12 months/12000 miles. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: To effectively restore an air conditioning system after compressor failure or other system contamination, in addition to compressor replacement, the following should also be completed: 1) Replace the accumulator/receiver drier. 2) Replace the expansion valve. 3) Replace the hose assemblies that contain the muffler. 4) Perform a complete system flush and install an in-line pancake filter (YF-2575). 5) Replace the condenser (on vehicles built prior to 1995). In the event that subsequent compressor warranty reimbursement is requested, supporting documentation that indicates the above was completed may be required to maintain the warranty coverage on the Motorcraft® compressor.

Well thank you all. That gives me enough to get off my rear and back under the hood. I'll post results.

Well thank you all. That gives me enough to get off my rear and back under the hood. I'll post results.

if simply unpluging the compressure doesn't solve the problem, i suggest you call AutoZone and see if they have a listing for a A/C bypass pulley for your truck/engine. they will not have a listing for a shorter belt to bypass the compressor, and a non A/C belt is typically not the answer. trying to find a shorter that will work can be a real PITA unless you can play with it in the parts store parking lot.

thanks to all. made my best measure of how much shorter the non ac belt needed to be and i guess i got lucky cause it worked fine...back on the road again.

thanks to all. made my best measure of how much shorter the non ac belt needed to be and i guess i got lucky cause it worked fine...back on the road again.

so what was the part# for the belt that fit? it'll save someone a lot of time.

Thread revival.

2001 Ex Sport, 4.0 - Clutch refuses to grab when engaged only grinds against the pulley and when not engaged hits the pulley constantly makings a horrid noise. It's cooler right now in Southern Florida so A/C or heater is not needed. :cool:
Truck starts up easier and runs significantly smoother. Part 5060710 worked like an absolute charm!

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem ac pump went bad and broke belt, I want to bypass it like you did but I have the 2002 4.6L so I was wondering if any one new the size of the belt?

Thanks
Again

20190702_160306_zpsqxat2riq.jpg
2005 exploder 4.0 a/c bypass belt.

Hi, I drive a 99 4.0 SOHC explorer. My ac clutch and/or compresser is wacked, it grinds, get hot and smokes. I read in the forum that i can bypass the ac and an appropriate belt is available...can anyone give me a size or part number for the correct belt? I am not ready to replace the compressor so a non ac pully is not an option at this point.
Thanks for helping out a newby
jeff
Bypass belt is a Duralast # 750K6. It is a 75" belt and works perfectly

Back