• Register Today It's free!

AC clutch keeps cycling

Neil1750825

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
My AC clutch cycles continuously when not in defrost or AC modes. If I'm correct, there should be no need for it to keep cycling during the vent modes. It also cycles quite rapidly. Any ideas? Just recharged it and am not sure what normal operation is since its been quite a while. Is it a pressure switch/sensor?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I read before that it will do this if it's low on freon. If you just charged it and it's not than maybe it is the pressure switch/sensor or still some kind of pressure problem.

Mine works fine when running full blast, but if the temp outside is lower, it does cycle, and I have the same problem as you. It SHOULD cycle, but not real fast. Sometimes it just stops working. I'm thinking it's one of the sensors going, but haven't dug that need into it after replacing the clutch and charging it.

IF your ac is running at all during "vent only" OR "floor only" settings, you have switch problem in your control unit as those setting NEVER operate your AC.... all other setting will cause some form of AC operation depending on your temp setting (blue).

Look at some of the A/C questions on the former few pages of this forum. There is a wealth of information.

Back