AC cold but Compressor is making loud noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC cold but Compressor is making loud noise

wilowfrd

Reaction score
City, State
daleville, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Mercury Mountainier
I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. The air is blowing cold but the compressor clutch is making a loud noise. I almost thought I had bent a rod or something. Does anyone know if I have to replace the whole compressor or can I get by with replacing the clutch or clutch disc?

You can replace just the clutch hub assembly. I did this on my 2000 Mountaineer. IIRC I bought a new replacement assembly from Advance for around $100-120.

My problem was that the OE clutch hub used 3 pins to engage the A/C pulley. These pins were originally insulated, but over the years the insulating pieces had worn away and the pins were making metal-to-metal contact and rattled every time the pulley engaged/disengaged. The pins had worn the originally round holes into slots. I replaced mine hub assembly with a different style assembly, which didn't have the pins.

This looks like the hub assembly I purchased.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/factory-air-new-ford-fs10-clutch-assembly-w-coil-47881/18891068-P?searchTerm=a/c+clutch

Installation wasn't too difficult once you disconnect the transmission lines from the radiator. The hardest part for me was was getting the snap-ring off the compressor shaft. It's just a bad angle.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to give it a try and I'll let you know the results.

When I first bought my Limited the AC didn't work and the compressor made a loud noise.
Turned out the pulley bearing had seized and had broken away from the pulley, the pulley was spinning around on the jagged hole.

Back