AC comes out floor and dash vents on max ac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC comes out floor and dash vents on max ac

kpr1024

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
We have a 2006 Explorer XLT. Recently, the AC comes out the dash and floor vents when max ac is selected. On a recent trip from Texas to San Diego, the power steering pump went out. We took it to the dealership there and had the pump replaced under the extended warranty. While they had the car, I asked them to check the ac problem (hoping to get both things fixed under 1 deductible). They said it was a dirty "screen" in the ac system that needed cleaning and would cost $99 to clean and was not covered under the warranty. He sounded like this screen was located somewhere inside the passenger area like behind the dash. When they called with the estimate, he needed to know if we wanted this done while his mechanic had it taken apart. I decided not to have this done.
In looking this up online, I can't find any sceens or other type of filter, and I can't find it under maintenance in the Ford repair manual.
Any ideas??

KPR, did you ever find a fix for this problem? I'm having the same problem with my 05 Mountaineer.

The AC still isn't working correctly. Before this problem started, Max AC was maximum blower speed. Now it blows hardest on AC but is a higher temperature. When we turn it to Max, there is a drop in the force of the air coming out, but the temperature is cooler.

If this is due to a "dirty filter screen", which we still can't find mentioned in the manual, how could something that requires taking apart the front console of a vehicle not be considered an extended warranty issue?

Back