• Register Today It's free!

ac compressor 96 exp. xlt

generation2

Reaction score
City, State
new orleans, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 4cyl 2wd 4.0 L
ac compressor on 96 stock explorer xlt is clicking and not providing as cold air as needed.

anyone recommend buying a used compressor or should i go new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's bad? If the compressor is cycling on and off, you might want to do some more diagnosing before you start replacing parts.

Most common reason for that is a leak in the system, and low refrigerant level.

Here's a good primer on auto a/c

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm

thnx for link. being that i dont have the hoses or gauges, i am going off the word of an autoshop. they said it was the compressor and offered to change it for $700.

the compressor does make a loud clicking sound while the ac is running. i may shop around for a testing setup to know for myself. otherwise i was figuring on changing compressor, orifice tube and accumulator.

If you replace the compressor, you'll need the manifold gauge kit to recharge it afterward. Might as well get it first and do some testing if you're not in a big rush.

If you replace the compressor, you should replace the accumulator at the same time (this is used instead of a receiver / drier in the explorers).

Take it in to a couple more shops for an estimate. It might be a simple O-ring gone bad causing a leak.

When the compressor goes out, it will let you know by either locking up (and burning off the belt) or never turning back on. The fact it is clicking on/off, is a good sign that it still works, just low on coolant.

Back