AC compressor clutch in pieces.... Questions please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC compressor clutch in pieces.... Questions please

Yaakmt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
Hello Folks, well my 2011 limited lost AC. I heard some squeaking sounds, didn't know. Drove home figuring it was a electronics glitch. So I turn it off then turn back on to park in different spot. Loud noise from under hood. Take a look and the clutch is in pieces. Rather than just take to dealer, I would like to try to fix myself. Anybody been in this area?

Can you replace just the clutch with the compressor in the car? Does anybody know what the part number is? Or does the whole compressor need to be changed?

It's about two hours to the dealer here.

Thank you!
Yaakmt

You can do the clutch yourself without removing the compressor. Try Advance Auto or AutoZone for the replacement clutch.

I will tell you, though, some people have extreme difficulty getting the coil off or on, while others do it in a matter of minutes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Lots of videos on Youtube for this.

Most Likely cause for the a/c clutch to fail is because the A/C Compressor locked up.
You said you heard squeaking noises before the clutch failed, that was probably the compressor seizing.
I am guessing you will have to replace the whole compressor and not just the clutch (and then have to clean & re-service the system - job best left to a service center, not D.I.Y.)

Back