• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor failed replaced

mnealuf

Reaction score
City, State
St. Pete Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I know it is not a Explorer, but I own a 2000 Explorer that I have gotten tons of good help with and I recently had an issue with other vehicle, a 97 F150 so I thought I try here. Anyhow, I recently had the compressor fail on my F150 while on a trip. First blew hot air and got VERY noisy so I stopped using AC, then the clutch failed and bearings got noisy (clutch bearings had been little noisy, but here in FLA AC is on all the time so I let it go. Anyhow, I replaced the compressor in parking lot to get home then after got home I replaced accumulator/dryer and orifice tube. I blew flushing agent thru evap and condenser and lines. The new compressor said it came with proper amount of PAG 46 oil already in it and I drained the old accumulator. It had no oil in it so I added 1 oz. to new one. (thought rule was whatever you get out + 1oz. ) I evacuated the system for about 70 minutes (very humid in these parts so figured it had a ton of water in it). After I charged it the low pressure was 32-33psi and high was ~160lbs (I am not 100% of high pressure actually I forget). Air from vents on max cold was about 10 degree C at idle. Everything's fine for one day then low pressure hose from accumulator to evap blew off. I guess I didn't get the quick disconnect engaged properly. Clip installed and I felt/heard it click but????? Anyhow blew Freon and oil all over. I replaced o-rings and didn't know how much oil it blew out so I added 1.5oz. to system and vacuumed/recharged. Everything was back to way it was and blows cold. I noticed tonight after driving on highway and was 1/2 way home the compressor seemed noisy. Got home and listen to compressor at idle and was quiet again. Do you think it is low on oil? How do I know if it has too much or not enough oil?

I drove it two more days and I am not noticing any excessive compressor noises.... I think. I can hear it when it runs but not that loud and I am pretty worried about it so listen intently. They always make some noise right, it is a compressor after all. I realize over the net this is mostly worthless info. I also re-measured pressures tonight, 36 psi LS and 160-170 psi HS with box fan in front of condenser, 170 -175 psi w/o box fan, low side remained same with and without fan. All pressures were idling on max cool and 80 degrees ambient. I didn't put thermometer in ac duct , but air is still pretty nice and cold. I filled it using the pressures and quit when it hit about 33-34 PSI low side at idle. I almost used sticker, but it says 2lbs of Freon. I put QTY 3 of the small 12oz cans. If my math is right that should be 36 oz. right so if anything it is slightly over filled. My gauge set is sorta goofy and I purge a small purge when I replace a can though so I lost a very slight amount there.

Thoughts for any AC experts out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just FYI LS pressure should be at 45-50 at 85 degrees. Also did you draw a full vacuum after you blew off your hose?

Yup, I e-vac it for just over an hour after the hose blew off before refilling.

Wait the hose blew off under vacuum?

No, the hose blew off then I reattached it and re-vacumed iot.

A catastrophic failure can nearly empty a system of oil... ADD OIL. I'd add maybe 3 oz to what you already have.

Oil is a tough thing. The only way to know for sure if you have the proper charge is to take apart the system and when you start over add oil to spec. Otherwise it is kind of a crap shoot. Too much oil is not good, but too little is worse. I think you are low on oil.

(The old York compressors (now popular as air pumps on off road vehicles) had a reservoir and a dipstick!! Sigh...)

Oh, so others do not get confused... you did not vacuum the system, you evacuated it. We vacuum carpets... way different than evacuating an AC system - we are not cleaning it out, we are removing all traces of air

By the way...An Explorer 134 system uses 25 OZ of freon in the Explorer. If you are running R-12 it is 36 OZ. An overcharge robs you of cooling. Trust the sticker.... what year F-150?

I'm not sure I agree that LS should be 45-50 in an Orifice tube system at 85 ambient.

Update: I fixed it...well sorta. It was a1997 F150. I traded it in. :) It also had what I believe to be the one way clutch failing in the transmission and I was sick of it. I only owned the truck for a year and that is a record for me, I typically enjoy working on things and learning and keep things until they are way worn out but this truck has been just terrible. I appreciate all the advice assistance I got/get from here and I still own a Explorer so i will still stay active.

Back