AC compressor kicks on and off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC compressor kicks on and off

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
When I turn on my heat to vent on my 1998 explorer the ac compressor kicks on and off every 10 seconds or so. I was wondering what the problem could be. Could I disconnect the harness to keep it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A/C cycles when heat is on

The only time the A/C should run is when you have the mode in defrost. The A/C will run in defrost mode to dry the air and help with the defrost. This is only true if it is above 40 deg F. If it is cycling in any other mode but defrost, there may be an issue with your controls.

On ford (and others), the only time that AC DOESN'T run is when you have the "one thing only" selected (ie. floor or vent). All other positions, cause some "form of AC" to operate for a "period"... it is used to "dry" the air. I suspect that you have "mis-stated" your selection and have actually selected the "floor AND vent" position.

It actually was on vent and floor. But it was kicking on and off every 10 seconds. isn't that still too often or is that normal?

What your describing is perfectly normal

It actually was on vent and floor. But it was kicking on and off every 10 seconds. isn't that still too often or is that normal?

Yes and no... depending on where you are. Up here in the "north", its still pretty cold so the AC isn't going to run very long as it is already "frozen in the tube".... but if you are down south with some "feeling of summer", then your AC should be cycling "normally". Perhaps you are a bit low on "freon"... which will also cause a "fast cycle". As you suggested, pulling the harness to the compressor will "solve" your problem for now.

It was about 10C or 50F when it was happening.

Back