• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor Leaking

mrv568

Reaction score
City, State
WS, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Linc Aviator,03 Mounty
I have a 1997 Explorer with the 5.0 V8 AWD WITH 206,000 miles on it.
The AC compressor has been replaced twice once for leaking and once for total failure (locked up) this time its leaking again from the front seal of the compressor. I have put in the dye and checked it for leaks with a blacklight.
The leak is terible,I do a full charge and its empty within 10-15 days.
It is defin the front seal on the compressor! My question is Ford says the front seal is not available and i must buy a new compressor. Is this true or does anyone know it the front seal can in fact be replaced? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get rid of it! :D

i took mine out and keep my windows rolled down, still keep cool and get better gas mileage :cool:

The 97 uses the FS-10 compressor. The seal is replaceable, but the tools required are not readily available to the DIY'er. Seal replacement on these is not easy, nor reliably done in the field. That is why FORD does not do them.

I have the tools, and yet I'd elect to replace the compressor. Nuff said?

ps. These seals work through black magic, I swear. So much as touching the sealing surface with a finger can cause the seal not to do it's job! I have come to the conclusion seal replacement is a clean room item best done at a reman facility.

But you did get a link to a source for the fs-10 seal. But...you cannot improvise the tools necessary to install it... and several are required.

Thanks for the input folks!
I wound up replacing the compressor & orifice tube (old tube was very clean)
Got it all charged up with R-134A and it will cool to 38-39 degrees at idle but
only cool down to 44-45 while driving the vehicle.
Is this normal? I though you would get the lower temperature in motion with
all the air flow through the front of the vehicle.
I am getting these temps with the AC on MAX and the blower speed on the next to the highest setting. Thanks for any Input!

It's possible you have either too much refrigerant and are flooding the evaporator at speed, or too little and it's starving. I'd maybe start by removing a few ounces and drive checking it, it it is the same or worse, add an amount double what you just put in and retry.... you may need to fine tune it.

I have a 1997 Explorer with the 5.0 V8 AWD WITH 206,000 miles on it.
The AC compressor has been replaced twice once for leaking and once for total failure (locked up) this time its leaking again from the front seal of the compressor. I have put in the dye and checked it for leaks with a blacklight.
The leak is terible,I do a full charge and its empty within 10-15 days.
It is defin the front seal on the compressor! My question is Ford says the front seal is not available and i must buy a new compressor. Is this true or does anyone know it the front seal can in fact be replaced? Thanks...
Its a FS 10 COMPRESSOR. EBAY SEAL AND O- RING KIT 11.00

Back