AC Compressor not cycling, always on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor not cycling, always on

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a '96 XLT with 5.0 V8.
When I bought it, the AC did not work and I decided to replace the whole system.
I got new Condenser, compressor, evaporator, orifice tube and hoses.
Compressor came with 7 oz PAG46 in it. I added 2 Oz PAG 46 to low side of accumulator. My under hood sticker says max capacity of R-134a is 1Lb, 14 Oz.
After evacuating the system, I added 1, 12 oz can of R-134. As I neared the end of the can, I say cycling on the gauges, even though the compressor clutch was not engaging. When I got to about the middle of the second can (18Oz total), the compressor clutch started to engage. I saw the low side would go from about 22-50 just like my book said. High side was about 100-140 and was going up. About when I finished the second can (24 oz total) the clutch stopped cycling. Now it is always engaged and the low side reading is about 35 and the high side reading is about 160 all the time. I did this in the rain at about 70 deg F. My interior thermometer says the AC air is about 52 degrees F.
That does not seem very cold. Is something wrong?

Short answer, you're 6 oz short of R134a. In a 30 oz system, that's 20% missing.

You're system is passing enough refrigerant to satisfy the low pressure switch, but not enough to provide adequate cooling.

Short answer, you're 6 oz short of R134a. In a 30 oz system, that's 20% missing.

You're system is passing enough refrigerant to satisfy the low pressure switch, but not enough to provide adequate cooling.

Sorry, I see I was unclear. I actually did put in 30 Ozes, or 2 1/2 12 Oz cans. I was just trying to make it clear that the cycling stopped well before I reached the full charge.
Actually, I checked the weight of the third can and it appears that I actually added 31 Ozes. Maybe a little less because I purged the hose at the start of each can.
Also, I checked the temps a bit more closely: Ambient temp is about 77 Deg F.
AC air is about 52 Deg F.

52 F sounds about right at idle. Remember, you have a mechanical fan that varies speed based on the fan clutch temperature, not condenser temperature. So at idle, until the engine begins to heat soak, the fan is running at its lowest duty cycle and not moving that much air.

Try driving it on the highway and take another measurement. I bet you will see the system start to cycle and vent temperatures in the low 40's.

BTW - kudos for doing your A/C service the correct way instead of throwing a can of "instant fix" in there.

Back