AC Compressor replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor replacement

cw212010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
Hi all,

Yet more problems with this thing. I replaced the belt and a week later it appears my AC compressor has died. I have taken the belt off and everything is smooth except the AC compressor which is red hot and wobbles - I also have no AC!

I have a feeling the clutch isn't disengaging correctly and I'm curious to see how easy it is to do this job myself.

Assuming I know what I am talking about here, the AC compressor on the 4.6 is (When looking at the engine) the bottom item on the pulley below and left of the tensioner.

It does look quite hard to access - Can this be done easily?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the compressor fail? If it did, there is likely black death contamination throughout the system and you'll need to replace the vast majority of the A/C parts or the new compressor will quickly fail.

I replaced mine several years ago, it's not easy to take it out but do-able or not extremely difficult (maybe a 6 out of 10). just take your time. I remember rotating it and pulling it out from the fender well. So many things in the way..

I honestly think I'll be the last owner of it - I was thinking of just bypassing the damn thing with a shorter belt. Has anyone done this before?

I considered this on a 3 liter Aerostar. It was missing the idler that would make it work so I just unplugged the A/C clutch. It's all about getting enough wrap around the pulley to transfer enough power to the accessory. My 4L Explorer looks like, "No problem". Just park at the parts store and try belts until you find the right length. This would actually increase the amount of wrap on the power squealing pump if I did it on a 4L. I wonder...is the belt supposed to slip easily when you crank the steering wheel to the stop or is that supposed to be protected by a pressure bypass valve?

Take a look. It's the best way to see how the belt wrap amounts would change.

The problem I have is that I can bypass it, however the belt would be running on the tensioner the wrong way - It'd be grooved side down.

Anytime you replace the compressor it is advised to replace the accumulator/drier, condenser, orifice tube, and possibly the hoses and evaporator if anything in the system grenaded. You can get the parts as a package from rock auto for about $230 (that was the cost of mine for the V6) plus the condenser for another ~$50. Repair at a shop should be no more than 3 hours, so it shouldn't be too much in labor.

And a dentist said it is recommended that I should buy 12 crowns so he can keep up his boat payments. Or you can learn how to clean the insides. Take your pick. Skill or money.

And so it has happened. Car had to get towed in yesterday having left Walmart the compressor locked and stalled the engine. Relatively easy to get off and a brand new replacement installed. I've not connected up the piping as the system needs cleaned first and I'm now poor.

Annoyingly, I need the car for today and Monday with no exceptions - I literally live right next to a yard where I can get the part for $75 and instead had to pay $375.

I hate Fords.

I hate broken Fords, but I hate other broken cars worse.

You can buy A/C flush by the quart at an auto supply store.
Blow a slug of it it through each contaminated part with compressed air.
Put it all back together with NEW o-rings and check for leaks.
I would replace the metering orifice (if it has one), and, at the last minute, the accumulator, because it has the desiccant bag in there. Then suck it well with a good vacuum pump and recharge as the label says.

If some part is fatally contaminated, you will find it by trying to clean it...and it won't come clean. It is my opinion that finding the problems is better than just buying a bunch of stuff you might, or might not need, they praying you guessed the right ones.

Yes, it takes all day, but when you get done, it will stay done, and you get to keep most of the money. I have never had to rebuild a car A/C twice, and I run cars until they rain on the inside. Then again, I've been doing A/C work for 40 years. I'm good at it. Maybe you should budget 2 days so you have time to look things up and plan your moves to arrive at a clean system with no air or humidity inside it.

For the time being, spend $20 at a wrecking yard for a used compressor. Just don't plug the electrical connector in.

Back