AC compressor will not turn on on its own / works if hardwired | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC compressor will not turn on on its own / works if hardwired

jfman

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 manual tranny
I just started looking into my 92's AC system. I charged it up and the compressor would not turn on. However I hooked the compressor up directly to a battery and I get cold air this way. I would like to fix it the right way. I dont want a getto manual ac dash switch. ( I have seen this on another car before lol )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

either the switch on the climate controls or the relay i would think

What's the location of the fuse for the ac???

ahh jeez...not to sure on a 95 but if it's like my 94 the relay is on the passenger side in the engine compartment should be in the power distribution box next to the air box and it would be in there if it's the same for 95's.

that's my other explorer.. it's a 92 model

....sorry been a long day (ack :confused:) same place as mine then ...where the hell did i get 95 from ...my head hurts now ...... duh.

I checked the fuse and it is good. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Could it be the pressure switch on the canister? Also isnt there supposed to be a low pressure switch and a high pressure switch? where are they both?

How do you hardwire the compressor? Mine hasn't come on since last summer.

How do you hardwire the compressor? Mine hasn't come on since last summer.

Well you remove the plu on the compressor and run wires to the metal pins inside and directly to the terminal of the battery to test it. It will make the clutch come on then unless you hear funny noises from a abad compressor, you wait to see if the air gets cold inside. If it does then it means you have the same issue as me.

I'm about to hard wire mine permanetly with a toggle switch if I dont find a better solution soon.

It would probably be a lot cheaper and easier to hard wire it. I think there is only one pressure switch that inhibits the pump from coming on unless there is enough pressure in the sytem. For high pressure, it just has a simple pressure relief valve. Check the wide open throttle relay as well. You should be able to pull the relay and check for power at the pin there.

There is one pressure switch, that is just before the receiver/dryer. If you jumper it, the compressor will turn on. Keep in mind however, that that switch is there for a reason - to prevent the compressor from burning up if you lose refrigerant pressure. Before you go jumpering anything to get the compressor to run, are you absolutely sure you have pressure in the system? Did you just recharge it and assume it's charged? Or did you hook up a set of manifold gauges to check the pressure? If there is a significant leak, and it leaks all the refrigerant out in a minute or two, that could very well be the reason why your compressor is not running.

There is one pressure switch, that is just before the receiver/dryer. If you jumper it, the compressor will turn on. Keep in mind however, that that switch is there for a reason - to prevent the compressor from burning up if you lose refrigerant pressure. Before you go jumpering anything to get the compressor to run, are you absolutely sure you have pressure in the system? Did you just recharge it and assume it's charged? Or did you hook up a set of manifold gauges to check the pressure? If there is a significant leak, and it leaks all the refrigerant out in a minute or two, that could very well be the reason why your compressor is not running.

Yes I checked the pressur and it's still good 2 weeks later so I dont have a leak. I DID JUMP that switch and still the compressor wouldnt turn on.

Well I wired everything up taday. Works great! I will come back and let you know hoe it does in the long run.

Here are some pictures..

At the compressor: one wire goes to a mounting bolt for ground, one wire goes into the firewall.

HPIM0357.jpg

HPIM0356-1.jpg

HPIM0358.jpg

Then run the wire to a switch. The location is up to you. I installed mine in the faux vent where they usualy have the transfer case switch on 4x4 models. Donet forget this very important step: put a note on the dash to remind yourself to shut the ac off when the car is stopped otherwise it will drain your battery.

HPIM0360.jpg

HPIM0361.jpg

HPIM0366.jpg

HPIM0365.jpg

Then send the wire to the fusebox and wire it up to a fusetap device.
HPIM0359.jpg

HPIM0362.jpg

Update: still works great ! However I do forget the switch on from time to time and it kills the batttery. I need to figure out how to wire it up so it shuts offf when the key ois off

ah ok I was under the impression that they were all hot at al times.

Back