AC definitive removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC definitive removal

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Hi.
My truck A/C dont work anymore because the wire that go to the AC pump is shorted somewhere and anyway its empty so i would like to remove all the system the pump,the condenser the metal hoses. Can I do that without causing problems to my Heathing system or i should cap a hose or two?

I own a 1993 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you pull the a/c compressor you will need a shorter belt. One for an explorer w/out a/c.

You can remove the condesnor and hoses w/out a problem.

~Mark

If you pull the a/c compressor you will need a shorter belt. One for an explorer w/out a/c.

You can remove the condesnor and hoses w/out a problem.

~Mark

Doesn't a serpentine system need an a/c delete pulley to keep all of the accessories rotating the same direction?

NO. The sticker is still under the hood to put correctly the serpentine so i will use it

NO. The sticker is still under the hood to put correctly the serpentine so i will use it

I think you mis understood me-

some cars need all of the pulleys-as the ac pulley is the one which causes the wrap around 2 others--so they make a special pulley and bracket for this which just free spins-

Motor mite makes them-I have installed one in a plymouth voyager parts getter.It was needed in that case, and only cost about 30 bux-

ok but i dont need them for the explorer thank you :) My trouble was only about the hose and compressor removal

That is correct.. the OHV doesn't need an a/c eliminator pully. I know some vehicles do, like our '90 park ave.. I need a pulley to replace the frozen a/c compressor.

~Mark

I havew cut the hoses and removed the ac pump. At the same time i make a new valve cover gasket on the left side...after that i will take out the remaining of the ac system and redo the right side valve cover gasket.

Another part you can easily remove is the receiver/dryer. Since you cut the hoses, you only have one fitting to remove and a couple of screws (that hold it in place). That will help free up some room on the passenger side.

~Mark

Job done i also removed the plenum of the air i unbolted it and took off the small radiatior inside...i plugged the two holes with Permatex. A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT more space now ..i dont need anymore to pass trought the undercar fender to unbolt my spark plugs. Btw i used Champion even if guys here told me not to do it due to poor results...but mine had around 5000 miles and they where clean as new all the fuel was burned correctly.

My turn

My condenser tubes have turned into aluminum oxide, and all that R-138 has already made the trip to the ozone layer ... it's my turn to rip out the A/C system. I'm gonna take everything out (including the receiver/dryer) too.

I have to do a water pump (and thermostat, and water housing, and radiator hoses) anyway, so now is as good a time as any. The key thing is that the serpentine belt had to be replaced anyway, so I got a short one. The counter dweeb at AutoZone tried his best to convince me that the "no A/C" version of the belt wouldn't fit (say WUT?), but I know to ignore those clowns when they start spewing nonsense.

I'm gonna do this at the same time I R&R the water pump, thermostat and water housing (the damn thing is about rusted through, go figure). But I'm definitely looking forward to getting all that engine compartment space back :)

A/C ... eh, who needs it? This is New England. In August, I can run with the windows open. The rest of the year, A/C is a waste of time.

You dont have to reroute the belt..a shorter one with AC compressor removed is fine. Dont listen to that clown

My condenser tubes have turned into aluminum oxide, and all that R-138 has already made the trip to the ozone layer ... it's my turn to rip out the A/C system. I'm gonna take everything out (including the receiver/dryer) too.

I have to do a water pump (and thermostat, and water housing, and radiator hoses) anyway, so now is as good a time as any. The key thing is that the serpentine belt had to be replaced anyway, so I got a short one. The counter dweeb at AutoZone tried his best to convince me that the "no A/C" version of the belt wouldn't fit (say WUT?), but I know to ignore those clowns when they start spewing nonsense.

I'm gonna do this at the same time I R&R the water pump, thermostat and water housing (the damn thing is about rusted through, go figure). But I'm definitely looking forward to getting all that engine compartment space back :)

A/C ... eh, who needs it? This is New England. In August, I can run with the windows open. The rest of the year, A/C is a waste of time.

Champion spark plugs are junk for the guy several posts up...barely fit to run a lawn mower, but to each their own.

I removed the AC from both my trucks....take the condenser, receiver/drier, all lines, accumulator, heat exchanger in the hvac box, get a non-AC heater box and replace any ducts as needed. I have alot more space under the hood now and my engine compartment doesn't get so sm0kin hot with the extra room and airflow.

If your truck is a lawn mower then run non-cheap spark plug but mine have 210 000 km's and still start and run like new even with champion. Each one have their one choice and i made a good one. Anyway dont care :p Its a Ac-removal post ;)

Does anyone have pics of this or what hoses to remove and which to plug, etc.? What boxes can be removed and what has to stay? Is there any hazourdous materials to watch out for that need gloves or reperator use? I'm looking to free up some space too so I can get my rusted out spark plugs out of the passenger side head.

What's the reference to valve cover gaskets for?

I'm very green when it comes to A/C systems maintenance and removal - which one is the compressor vs. the receiver/dryer, accumulator, heat exchanger??? If someone has pics with it labelled, would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Back