AC Discharge/Suction Hose Assembly for 1992 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Discharge/Suction Hose Assembly for 1992 Explorer

65vw

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Sport
I searched a lot and could not find an answer about what aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly will fit my 1992 Explorer Sport.

The replacement AC discharge/suction hose assembly(s) I purchased online, one from LMC (55651) and one from eBay (5616) and both were from Four Season.

Part 55651 - 91-92 Ford Explorer AC discharge/suction hose assembly (Hose routes behind engine block as the stock one does). ($70)
Part 56116 - 91-92 Mazda Navajo/Ford Explorer AC discharge/suction hose assembly (Hose routes in front of engine block). ($70)

Both of the above parts could not connect to the AC accumulator because the accumulator had an L shaped connector and so do the two parts above and if you connect the two 'L' connectors the hose has to sit up too high to close the hood.

The issue turned out to be that all the aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly's available are made for an AC accumulator that Ford only used for a few months until March of 1991.
This short used accumulator has a connector on its top that sticks straight up a few inches and this will accept the L shaped bend from the AC discharge/suction hose assembly.

Most 91-92 explorers come with an AC accumulator that has an (upside down) 'L' connector and it wont allow the aftermarket hose to connect so the hose assembly will sit flat because the hose assembly also has an L shape connector.

The fix to get the aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly installed in my 92 Explorer Sport 4x4 is to install an older model aftermarket AC accumulator ($20).
Then the aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly will connect easily to the accumulator small 3-4" straight up connecting tube.

I can't post images but here are some links.

You can see both types of accumulators at this link.
Some are used to 3/91 and these will work with current aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly's available.
Others are used after 3/91 and these are in most Explorers including mine and they will Not work with the aftermarket AC discharge/suction hose assembly.

This is a link to Ebay showing the AC discharge/suction hose assembly that is available (Four Seasons Part # 55651). Notice the L shaped aluminum end. This requires the older accumulator that does Not have the L connector on its top.

Hope this helps others.

Back