• Register Today It's free!

AC fan control switch

DLinkOZ

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 NBX
I've checked the forum, and it's not the typical problems (blend door, etc). My wife's 04 explorer has what I would guess is a faulty blower speed selector switch. Speeds 1, 2 and 4 all work perfectly. Max AC works perfectly. However, to get speed 3, you must go half way between 3 and 4. If you actually set it to the speed 3 detent, it runs on speed 2.

My question is - Am I correct in assuming it's simply the switch? If so, can it be replaced separately, or does the entire control module under the radio need to be replaced. I'm trying to determine if it's worth the $100 deductable on the extended warranty, or if it's cheaper to get the replacement part and do it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's *probably* going to be cheaper to try the switch first, but I haven't worked on a 3rd gen, and don't have the manuals in front of me, so let me check into it a bit on Monday.

-Joe

Before you replace anything check the resister block and associated connector just to verify that you are not looking at the symptom a lot of posts with pictures have had.

I checked the resistor pack, everything looks pristine and new. Again, the primary reason I suspect the switch itself is because it does in fact go to the 3rd speed. Simply not at the precise spot in the switch's movement.

I am having the same problem if you find out what it is pleae post it, I will do the same. thanks

Just to close this out - it was the fan speed switch. Found that my extended warranty has a "disappearing deductible". So I took it the same dealership where I purchased it and paid nothing. Now, had that not existed I would've just replaced it myself.

So had I done it myself, the part cost would have been $20 direct from Ford.

i wonder if that is why in speed 3, i dont notice much difference from 2...i have posted on this before but no one ever suggested it might be a switch problem. i will go see if i can find a happy middle between 2 and 4....... ;)

Thanks man.

I found a happy middle between 3 and 4 yesterday. It's nice to have that third speed. I'll look for the switch and change it out.

Thanks again.

could someone please post the part number and price on switch and what is involved in changing it out (can the novice person do it?)......thx in advance

btw...i went out to my truck and tried the switch in between 3 & 4 and noticed no change. apparently mine works but boy, you would think they would be a happy middle between 2 & 4. it barely blows more when you go from 2 to 3 and then when you go from 3 to 4 it is a big difference. i would love it to blow more than it does in 3 and a little less than in 4. i guess i cant have everything :eek:

I replaced the switch last night. It was pretty easy. Now I have 4 speeds on my fan!! Here are the steps:

1. Pull the switch nob off just by pulling on it.
2. Get a 1" putty knife and wedge it between the carbon fiber looking cover plate and the vynal at the bottom right below the AC button. Pry it in there and pry off the carbon fiber looking plate. I used a screwdriver and marked the vynal a little I think a putty knife will keep this from happening. The plate has to be pryed off on the four corners so work your way around to get it off.
3. Disconnect all of the wireing harnesses carfully finding the little buttons that allow you to pull them apart.
4. Pop out the switch from the back. It's got three prongs which you can just press on to pop it out. Watch the orientation of the switch so you can put the new one in the same way.
5. Put all the wireing harnesses back together
6. Start the vehicle and check operation of everything that is wired in the dash.
7. Pop the carbon fiber looking plate back in the dash just by pressing on it.

It took me about 20 minutes and I'm pretty slow. I could do it again in about 5 minutes.

Mikeh

Back