• Register Today It's free!

AC/HEAT vent selection control

Justme63

Reaction score
City, State
South Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4 2dr
First off I know my blend door is stuck in the heat position and that is okay as I live in Wisconsin and this is my rainy and cold weather vehicle. My issue with my heating system is a clicking coming from under the console, A solenoid? Mainly though is that the selector switch for feet, defrost and vent is not working. On the plus side hot air blows out of everywhere but this does have draw backs. Off selection works. Is the switch bad? I will be double checking the electrics this afternoon but I want to pick your brains. If you have seen a thread dealing with something similar please steer me in that direction as I haven't found anything YET. Thanks in advance:feedback:

Read somewhere here that there's a blend door motor in the in console but no one has chimed in to weather this was true or not. My was clicking and I pulled the plug on it. Never found the motor itself though. Still I'm :popcorn:

There is a motor that turns the blend door that can make a clicking noise if the gears are broken or if the door is broken. The selector switch that switches between heat, vent, etc has vacuum ports on it that change where the vacuum goes. Vacuum operates the duct valves that open or close to wherever you want the air flow to go. If you are not getting defrost heat, then your switch could be bad. There are diagrams of the duct work and valves, here is a link for a 2003 but you will get the idea.
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3814k-2003-ford-explorer-blows-vents-defrost-the-blend-door-ok.html

Back