• Register Today It's free!

AC HELPPPP 97 Explorer

vlm2

Reaction score
City, State
Marshall Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
The AC quit blowing cold last year, so we just used the windows untill this years. Our mechanic added some freon and run dye through the lines and couldn't find a leak. He said the stuff had a sealer in it also so if it did have a leak it should check it. SO anyway the air worked great for a while, now it still blows semi cool air but no where near cold.I had it check and it is still full.The air temp it blows is about 68 or 70 degrees.
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO Temps here are at 100 degrees with indexs of 110 .

Thanks
Vicky
vlm2@socket.net :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You had it checked and it still full ? Sounds to me like a small leak....resulting in a low charge state. Show said it was still "Full". This is not like checking tire pressures.It is full of variables. I', betting you are just in a low charge state. How frequently is the compressor clutch cycling ?

It wouldn't take anymore freon. That is why I say it is still full.The man at the automotive store checked it and tried to put more in and it would take any more. I even paid 10.00 for some booster stuff that was to make it even colder but it only helped a weeeeeee bit.
Tell me more please.
Vicky ;)

You need to take it to someone who has a set of gauges and knows how to use them. They need to take some readings on the high side and low side while it is running and not just dummping more refregeant in the system. Those reading can tell you alot on what's happening. Is there a difference between low and high pressure or are they equalized? Bad valves in the compressor? Too high or too low. And if you take the reading right after running and the engine is off it will always show to high. Bet you got a slow leak if it did work for awhile after charging and then slowly got worse.

Is the clutch engaging? Is the compressor getting warm/hot?

rookieshooter said:
You need to take it to someone who has a set of gauges and knows how to use them. They need to take some readings on the high side and low side while it is running and not just dummping more refregeant in the system. Those reading can tell you alot on what's happening. Is there a difference between low and high pressure or are they equalized? Bad valves in the compressor? Too high or too low. And if you take the reading right after running and the engine is off it will always show to high. Bet you got a slow leak if it did work for awhile after charging and then slowly got worse.

i agree with rookieshooter - i tried using the "cheapo" guages at autozone and it was telling me i couldn't fill anymore freon into the system.. but then i finally grabbed some balls and took my truck to midas and they told me i was 2lbs low and so they recharged and wallah i have cold air again. Check your Accumulator (it's the tube looking thing that you filled your freon into at the auto store).. there should be a "blanket" around the tube. if you pull that blanket back you will probably see a lot of rust. this may be the source of your problem.. look into getting the accumulator replaced if you think it looks pretty bad. i know it's about a 50-70$ piece and fairly easy replacement if you have the right tools. i will probably have to get mine replaced within the next year if my newly charged A/C stops working again..

OK,I will make an appointment with Midas.I have no idea about the highs and lows or the Accumulator, but I will look for it.kEEP THE IDEAS COMING I AM STILL SWEATING.
YOU GUYS ARE GREATTTTTTTT

VICKY :D

Back