• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

AC Issues

Joe75

Reaction score
City, State
Merrick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok so I purchased a pre owned 2013 Explorer just less then a year ago July 2016. Now my AC isn't working and I brought it in for an oil change and to get the AC looked at and find out what's wrong. I was told that the AC lines that run under the truck are shot and need to be replaced and it's not covered under warrante due to the fact that I'm over the 12,000 miles allotted for the year. is this a common issue with these trucks? Or is this a fluck thing? They are quoting me a price of $1,600 to fix. Please all info would be greatly appritiated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
You are not giving us enough info to try to help. Is it the rear condenser that is bad? It is the only thing I can think of for AC lines that would run "under it" (front to back?). If so, I think there is one other person who just reported a line is leaking which drains the fluid out and both lines have to be replaced. I believe going off memory without using the search function that it was around $1,400. If that is the issue, then your price is close.

As far as it being a fluke thing.. I would say so. If your problem is the same as his, you two are the only 2 that I've read on here about it which is pretty good considering most come on forums to complain or research their issue (perfect example).

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Ok so I purchased a pre owned 2013 Explorer just less then a year ago July 2016. Now my AC isn't working and I brought it in for an oil change and to get the AC looked at and find out what's wrong. I was told that the AC lines that run under the truck are shot and need to be replaced and it's not covered under warrante due to the fact that I'm over the 12,000 miles allotted for the year. is this a common issue with these trucks? Or is this a fluke thing? They are quoting me a price of $1,600 to fix. Please all info would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
I tried to find that post the blwnsmoke spoke about but haven't had any luck.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That info at times can be very helpful. Thank you.

Peter

Joe75

Reaction score
City, State
Merrick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Thank you for the responses. Yes the service tech said it's the AC line that runs under the truck to the rear of the vehicle. So I'm assuming what you stated is what the issue is and price wise sounds about right then. I guess it's time to fight with Ford motor company and see what they will do about this. I don't think a 4 year old car should have these issues! Thanks again for all your input!

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
I tried to find that post the blwnsmoke spoke about but haven't had any luck.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That info at times can be very helpful. Thank you.

Peter
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-on-a-three-year-old-car.463777/#post-3631485

The return line from the rear evap condenser failed at 100,400 miles. I had the extended warranty through 100,000 miles, nothing was covered. The dealer can repair it for $1700+. They need to replace both lines, they said there is a lot of labor and rear end alignment required. The hole is very close to the evap condenser, very difficult to splice anything in. I am still deciding on getting it repaired. Ideas? other than installing a block kit.
I was wrong, I thought it was $1,400 but seems the quotes are spot on.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you for the responses. Yes the service tech said it's the AC line that runs under the truck to the rear of the vehicle. So I'm assuming what you stated is what the issue is and price wise sounds about right then. I guess it's time to fight with Ford motor company and see what they will do about this. I don't think a 4 year old car should have these issues! Thanks again for all your input!
I linked the post/thread for you in the post above. Again, not that it helps any but this is only the 2nd person to post this issue so I have to say it is just crap luck that it happened and unfortunate.

They say it is a lot of labor but I wonder if you can get it up on ramps how difficult it is to just disconnect each line and guide them out and replace on your own. You will have to have it recharged but may be something you want to look at.

Or, have it cut and plugged so you won't leak out and rely on the front AC system instead.

Joe75

Reaction score
City, State
Merrick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-on-a-three-year-old-car.463777/#post-3631485

I was wrong, I thought it was $1,400 but seems the quotes are spot on.
At over 100,000 miles I can kinda understand the issue but my truck is only 4 years old and less then 50,000 miles. I understand the labor that it entails and I'm not arguing that fact my problem is that after 4 years there is NO reason for something like this to happen unless it's a defect in the part itself and if that's the case I shouldn't be charged for that. There is no way in 4 years an AC line goes bad! I'm sorry!

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
At over 100,000 miles I can kinda understand the issue but my truck is only 4 years old and less then 50,000 miles. I understand the labor that it entails and I'm not arguing that fact my problem is that after 4 years there is NO reason for something like this to happen unless it's a defect in the part itself and if that's the case I shouldn't be charged for that. There is no way in 4 years an AC line goes bad! I'm sorry!
Not arguing your point. I completely agree with you that something like that shouldn't happen. I'd actually expect lines like that (metal, not rubber) would outlast the vehicle. However, at what point does a manufacturer start and stop making exceptions. Warranty is black and white and everyone has the choice to by an extended. My 03 Camry has a little under 100k on it and besides brakes, tires and battery, everything is original on it. 14 years old... yup. Granted it is ugly, cheap materials, not technology etc.. but still.

Joe75

Reaction score
City, State
Merrick
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Blwnsmoke thanks for all your input! I actually called Ford Motor Company direct about this issue and I'll find out Monday what and how they may assist me on it. But I may take your advise and get it up on ramps and see if I may be able to do it for much cheaper. As a single father the funds are low and I bought this truck hoping and thinking it wouldn't have any issues till long down the road! Unfortunately I've been proven wrong. I'll keep you posted on the out come! Again thanks for all you input!

MikeT76

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT AWD
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have been reading (lurking) for a while! I had this same issue and just had it repaired at a local Mr.Muffler. Ford quoted me about $2500 for the repair due to the labor. The tube basically snakes above the rear suspension and gas tank...all of which need to be removed to replace the tubes which are no that expensive. The mechanic showed me the piece that they took out, it's a twisty, curvy piece that's almost as long as the vehicle itself so I think you'd have to be quite patient to try to snake it through without removing everything. Final price for the repair came to $1500. My 2013 XLT AWD has 76,000km on it.

BTW, when the dealer put it on the lift to see what was up with the leak, they told me that the rear knuckles needed to be replaced, the cost for that job was another $2500. They were going to charge a little over $700 for each piece, so $1400+ in parts plus labor. I found them online for $350 each but asked the Mr.Muffler mechanic to check it out as replacing that while having the suspension removed may save me some labor costs. The guy called me back to tell me that everything is tight and nothing needs to be replaced. Go figure.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:

Peter

MikeT76

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT AWD
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:

Peter
Thanks Peter! There's so much great information here. It's nice to know that you're not alone in some of the issues we experience!