• Register Today It's free!

A/C Rear Line Leak

mcmanus_78

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2011
Just heard back from my stealership that both hoses that link back to the rear evaporator on my 2011 Limited Explorer (with about 75000km) have cracks in them that let all the coolant gas out. What gives??? It seems that they have rusted out near the evaporator.

OK, granted I live in Canada with ****ty weather all year long, but come on Ford! Of the 4 times a year I use my A/C and cooling seats in a year I find out the hoses are shot and the stealership is quoting me 1200$ + taxes to fix it (600$ for the 2 hoses and 600 for the work).

I'm thinking of pluging in the 2 damn hoses and says goodbye to the rear AC. Never used it really, except for cooling off the dog! Anyone else had these issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not seen this issue anywhere else.

Is it the rubber that has cracked? Or the metal has rusted and cracked?

Don't know about Canada, but I'd take it to a specialty shop here if I had that issue. They may be able to splice in a new section with high quality connectors to the good sections

Rusted?? The lines in my Ex are Aluminum! Aluminum does not rust. It may get a patina of oxidation but not rust! Sounds like they are phishing!

Just heard back from my stealership that both hoses that link back to the rear evaporator on my 2011 Limited Explorer (with about 75000km) have cracks in them that let all the coolant gas out. What gives??? It seems that they have rusted out near the evaporator.

OK, granted I live in Canada with ****ty weather all year long, but come on Ford! Of the 4 times a year I use my A/C and cooling seats in a year I find out the hoses are shot and the stealership is quoting me 1200$ + taxes to fix it (600$ for the 2 hoses and 600 for the work)...

I see how this would be frustrating, mcmanus_78. Feel free to choose other dealers, as they are owned and operated independently. To locate one, click on this: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ For any questions within my scope, please let me know.

Kwasi

I'm quite sure you are the first to post with issue. I'm not sure how plugging the lines would affect the rest of the system, if at all. As Kwasi suggested, try going to another dealership to see what they have to say since it appears that you didn't get the extended warranty. You could also try getting quotes from other places as well. It seem to be a costly repair but then I don't know what all is involved in repairing it. Good luck.
BTW, I totally disagree with your comment "...I live in Canada with ****ty weather all year long,..."

Peter

If all the AC hoses are aluminum, then it's really strange that they would tell me to change them (They even gave me the part numbers and all). I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and see for myself where the actual leaks are located. Should be fairly easy since they put in a can of colored gas to spot them themselves. If there are actual cracks on the lines, I'll probably try a can of Redtek Proleak in the system before shelling out a grand to fix it. If its the rubber seals on the back evaporator, I guess I could replace those.

I'll see what I can do and keep you posted, just in case it happens to someone else in the future.

Try going to www.fordparts.com and see if you can pull up the part numbers and see what it says.

Peter

Long story short, shortly before my wife was diagnosed with leukemia i noticed a huge puddle under the explorer and after taking that black plastic covering off one of the rear ac lines had a leak in it. The shop told me $2,200 bucks to get fixed. They could cap it for about $1,000 leaving me with front ac but no rear ac. I decided to wait on it for a while. I found a aluminum epoxy. It seems to have held and covered the small hole. The hole was about the size of a pencil tip. Since my wife was in the hospital for a month and the hospital where she stayed was over an hour a way this got put on the back burner. Winter hit and the explorer sat in the drive way most of the winter as I drove my every day vehicle for the most part. I wouldn't doubt that most of the a/c refrigerant leaked out. I was able to patch the leak before winter hit. Do I take it in to a shop get it filled and pressure checked? Any suggestions in case my aluminum epoxy still can't fill the hole? With all the medical bills I don't really have the money to dish out to get the lines replaced. New member to the forums but not to car forums. I got a ton of info for my Bonneville on these type of forms, so hoping we have some good members like other places. Looking forward to the replies. Thanks again.

Is the line one that you could replace yourself and then take it in for a proper fill?

Odds are that you have no refrigerant left in the system. It will leak out of even a small hole very fast.

Is the leak easily accessible? I had a pinhole leak in a copper water pipe in the basement more than 15 years ago and put a piece of rubber over it and held it in place by a hose clamp. Still in place today.

Peter

Is the line one that you could replace yourself and then take it in for a proper fill?

Odds are that you have no refrigerant left in the system. It will leak out of even a small hole very fast.

According to the shop its a pain to replace there is some body work that has to come off in order to get to it. I don't have the expertise for that or the time especially with my wife going threw what she is right now. I think the aluminum epoxy has seemed to cover the hole, if i got it all covered or not I guess we will see. My brother works at a ford dealer and is in good some with some of the mechanics so he is gonna take it in and see if they can pressure test the system and if the pressure holds, he will have them fill it and we shall see i guess. Seems like thats the only way to know for sure.

Is the leak easily accessible? I had a pinhole leak in a copper water pipe in the basement more than 15 years ago and put a piece of rubber over it and held it in place by a hose clamp. Still in place today.

Peter
Yea it is that how I got the aluminum epoxy on there. I know there are splic kits you can buy online for this sort of thing but I think its to close to a bend and that won't work. Worst comes to worst maybe I need to cut a part off of a junk yard one and do a two splice to replace part of the line. I am hoping the mechanics that my brother knows will give a better answer than the first ones. I get the feeling the first ones just didn't want to do the job so he said some bs that may not have been true. Guess we shall see.

I had a leak in my rear AC line and had it replaced. It was a lot of work to replace the line as the lines run above the gas tank and he had to drop the subframe in order to make room to remove/install. My mechanic said he wouldn't want to do the job again if had a choice :p

I just posted on this...

Welcome to my hell.

I replaced the compressor last year and just had to replace one of the refrigerant lines. The line runs all the way to the back of the vehicle but is VERY close to the exhaust at the front end. Because it is close, they wrap it insulation. The insulation traps grit and road salt which corrode the line, accelerated perhaps by the repeated heating and cooling and possible mechanical agitation as well(?). Ford calls for 9 HOURS labor!!!! to replace the line because the entire subframe assembly is to be removed. My local shop was able to do it in a couple of hours by buying the line but only splicing in the needed section. Interesting that my small town shop (pop. ~4,000) had already seen this failure before... So, ~$800 last year and another ~$700 this year.

A/C lines have been on vehicles for decades yet somehow Ford managed to screw up the design.

Thanks, Ford.

Pulling the line from a yard may work, or you may just get another line that is close to failing. The local shop charged $250 for the line (BB5Z 19867B) and 2 hours labor to install, check system, refill, etc. Total cost $645.

Ok so I purchased a pre owned 2013 Explorer just less then a year ago July 2016. Now my AC isn't working and I brought it in for an oil change and to get the AC looked at and find out what's wrong. I was told that the AC lines that run under the truck are shot and need to be replaced and it's not covered under warrante due to the fact that I'm over the 12,000 miles allotted for the year. is this a common issue with these trucks? Or is this a fluck thing? They are quoting me a price of $1,600 to fix. Please all info would be greatly appritiated!

You are not giving us enough info to try to help. Is it the rear condenser that is bad? It is the only thing I can think of for AC lines that would run "under it" (front to back?). If so, I think there is one other person who just reported a line is leaking which drains the fluid out and both lines have to be replaced. I believe going off memory without using the search function that it was around $1,400. If that is the issue, then your price is close.

As far as it being a fluke thing.. I would say so. If your problem is the same as his, you two are the only 2 that I've read on here about it which is pretty good considering most come on forums to complain or research their issue (perfect example).

Ok so I purchased a pre owned 2013 Explorer just less then a year ago July 2016. Now my AC isn't working and I brought it in for an oil change and to get the AC looked at and find out what's wrong. I was told that the AC lines that run under the truck are shot and need to be replaced and it's not covered under warrante due to the fact that I'm over the 12,000 miles allotted for the year. is this a common issue with these trucks? Or is this a fluke thing? They are quoting me a price of $1,600 to fix. Please all info would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
I tried to find that post the blwnsmoke spoke about but haven't had any luck.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That info at times can be very helpful. Thank you.

Peter

Thank you for the responses. Yes the service tech said it's the AC line that runs under the truck to the rear of the vehicle. So I'm assuming what you stated is what the issue is and price wise sounds about right then. I guess it's time to fight with Ford motor company and see what they will do about this. I don't think a 4 year old car should have these issues! Thanks again for all your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
I tried to find that post the blwnsmoke spoke about but haven't had any luck.
Please complete your registration by adding the requested "trim level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That info at times can be very helpful. Thank you.

Peter

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-on-a-three-year-old-car.463777/#post-3631485

The return line from the rear evap condenser failed at 100,400 miles. I had the extended warranty through 100,000 miles, nothing was covered. The dealer can repair it for $1700+. They need to replace both lines, they said there is a lot of labor and rear end alignment required. The hole is very close to the evap condenser, very difficult to splice anything in. I am still deciding on getting it repaired. Ideas? other than installing a block kit.

I was wrong, I thought it was $1,400 but seems the quotes are spot on.

Back