AC keeps breaking after repairs for two years now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC keeps breaking after repairs for two years now

Bearallly

Reaction score
City, State
Sacto, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
Hoping y'all can help because I have no idea what's going on.
2013 Explorer Limited 90,000 miles my AC keeps breaking within 2-4weeks of being repaired at both local mechanic and Ford dealership mechanic.
Replaced every single part within the AC realm except one sensor at this point over the course of last two years.

Sadly the AC still keeps this cycle of after I bring it into be "fixed" my AC works ok for 2/3 weeks then first my driver's side AC stops working and only blows hot air regardless if on reg AC or Max AC. Then after about a week then both the driver side and rest of ac stops working completely. It blows hot hot air not even like a fan of cool air but hot air where it's cooler outside my car than inside even with windows open.
It will make a weird whining sound and my engine sounds like it's revving then overheating if I keep the air running so I just turn it off. Sometimes in past the AC would work if I only turn my automatic car start from keyfob and don't drive my car. Like just sit there in my car without putting into reverse or drive. The moment I start driving then the AC completely stops and only blows hot hot air out then starts making weird noises and jerking feeling.

I'm already out $6k + in repairing the AC to only be back to square one again. This has been going on for two years now and about every few months been taking to mechanic and each time they say it's something else but I'm assuming they are just guessing at this point.

This weekend I tried resting the AC by pushing the Climate control power button with the defrost button, didn't work.
I have a Freon gauge and tank but seems every time I test freon it's at 25 and I put it to about 30 but that will help give cool air for maybe a few hours.

Anyone else having this issue with their AC and actually fixed it to where it won't break again in a few weeks?

Summers here are 100-116 heat and I already heat intolerant due to long term illness and now I'm broke and still nothing to show for it. Desperately trying to fix my AC Because I love my explorer and do not want a different vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hoping y'all can help because I have no idea what's going on.
2013 Explorer Limited 90,000 miles my AC keeps breaking within 2-4weeks of being repaired at both local mechanic and Ford dealership mechanic.
Replaced every single part within the AC realm except one sensor at this point over the course of last two years.

Sadly the AC still keeps this cycle of after I bring it into be "fixed" my AC works ok for 2/3 weeks then first my driver's side AC stops working and only blows hot air regardless if on reg AC or Max AC. Then after about a week then both the driver side and rest of ac stops working completely. It blows hot hot air not even like a fan of cool air but hot air where it's cooler outside my car than inside even with windows open.
It will make a weird whining sound and my engine sounds like it's revving then overheating if I keep the air running so I just turn it off. Sometimes in past the AC would work if I only turn my automatic car start from keyfob and don't drive my car. Like just sit there in my car without putting into reverse or drive. The moment I start driving then the AC completely stops and only blows hot hot air out then starts making weird noises and jerking feeling.

I'm already out $6k + in repairing the AC to only be back to square one again. This has been going on for two years now and about every few months been taking to mechanic and each time they say it's something else but I'm assuming they are just guessing at this point.

This weekend I tried resting the AC by pushing the Climate control power button with the defrost button, didn't work.
I have a Freon gauge and tank but seems every time I test freon it's at 25 and I put it to about 30 but that will help give cool air for maybe a few hours.

Anyone else having this issue with their AC and actually fixed it to where it won't break again in a few weeks?

Summers here are 100-116 heat and I already heat intolerant due to long term illness and now I'm broke and still nothing to show for it. Desperately trying to fix my AC Because I love my explorer and do not want a different vehicle.
welcome to EF! i wonder if its the compressor. im not AC guru by any means, but it sounds possible to some of the symptoms. whih sensor is it that hasnt been replaced?

welcome to EF! i wonder if its the compressor. im not AC guru by any means, but it sounds possible to some of the symptoms. whih sensor is it that hasnt been replaced?
Both compressor and condenser fully replaced. It's the sensor that is in the dash I think door something. I try accessing the service records and won't let me so I'm not sure exactly. But all the parts that are under the hood engine for AC have been completely replaced all now including hose lines etc.

Be just my luck if it was only that door sensor thing that was the issue entire time and I paid out the ass for everything else to be replaced haha.

Both compressor and condenser fully replaced. It's the sensor that is in the dash I think door something. I try accessing the service records and won't let me so I'm not sure exactly. But all the parts that are under the hood engine for AC have been completely replaced all now including hose lines etc.

Be just my luck if it was only that door sensor thing that was the issue entire time and I paid out the ass for everything else to be replaced haha.
i see! maybe its some blend door thing? does that ring a bell?

Can you verify the low and high side pressures to ensure they are in range?
Is the compressor staying on, or does it cycle/click off and on?
If the pressures are in range and the compressor is staying on/engaged, but still no cooling, then it most likely is a problem under your dash.
This can be a blend door (as mentioned above) where it stays on HEAT and doesn't close so cold air can push thru.

Good luck,
Ryan

Replacing every part over two rebuilds doesn’t ensure everything is good. There could have been debris left over after the first rebuild that ruined the second.

I’d find a shop that only does heating and AC. The systems aren’t really complex. They should be able to tell you what’s wrong, and not just fire the parts cannon at it.

Also, with your tank and gauge the pressures are temp dependent, you can’t just “fill it to 30”. That could be part of the issue.

I’d suspect the issue is in your dash, and not really related to the air conditioner itself.

Back