• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

AC Leak / Only Blowing Hot!

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Alright guys, I had a funky little problem occur over the past couple days and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 98 Explorer, and the AC hasn't worked since the day I got it in November. Didn't bother me all year, now as its hitting 90º here in Jersey lately - its starting to totally suck. I had the system charged, and I lost every bit of 1.7 pounds of freon in less than 24 hours.

After the truck ran out of freon, no matter whether the dial was turned to cool or heat, the truck blew nothing but hot air - soon thereafter the breaker for the blower motor fried up. I replaced that, and now the blower is working again, however the truck still blows nothing but hot air.

I checked the truck, as did my mechanic and we can not find a leak anywhere with the UV light and looking for the dye. Any pointers on where to look? Any ideas why the breaker would have fried out or is it coincidental? And any pointers on why its blowing hot air now, whereas before it was blowing just ambient temp air? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RomeovilleIL

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 LTD, 00 XLT
Usually the best way to find a leak is to fully charge the system with 144a & dye, then run the engine in a dark garage with the truck on a lift. With the UV light you may see a wisp like smoke somewhere. Since the leak is slow its going to be tough to see but areas to concentrate are most likely a bad o-ring at a connection or a weak spring in the high or low pressure valve as opposed to a hole in a line or condensor.

I know this is going to be flamed to no end, but on a slow leak like this you might consider using a $30 can of quest super sealer. It has worked very well for a number of cheap cars we have used it on over the past 2 years. Do not use the red leak stop for $10 - it does not work, although it does help locate a leak under the hood with the messy red oose it creates.

matt0248

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8
Leaking all the freon in 24 hours is a pretty big leak. If you are unable to see dye than the leak may be the evaporator core in the dash. You may be able to take the blower motor out to see the evap core and see if there is dye in there. If it is leaking that fast a hologen leak detector should pick it up too.

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette
If your accumulator has a fabric blanket around it, take that off and look for rust / leaks. On most cars accumulator failure is really rare, so your mechanic might not have looked at it closely.

This thread has a good discussion of A/C troubleshooting - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316697

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Usually the best way to find a leak is to fully charge the system with 144a & dye, then run the engine in a dark garage with the truck on a lift. With the UV light you may see a wisp like smoke somewhere. Since the leak is slow its going to be tough to see but areas to concentrate are most likely a bad o-ring at a connection or a weak spring in the high or low pressure valve as opposed to a hole in a line or condensor.

I know this is going to be flamed to no end, but on a slow leak like this you might consider using a $30 can of quest super sealer. It has worked very well for a number of cheap cars we have used it on over the past 2 years. Do not use the red leak stop for $10 - it does not work, although it does help locate a leak under the hood with the messy red oose it creates.
I was under the impression that leaking all of the freon in less than a solid 24 hours was a pretty substantial leak and was told that the super sealer stuff would most likely be a waste of money for a leak that quick.

Leaking all the freon in 24 hours is a pretty big leak. If you are unable to see dye than the leak may be the evaporator core in the dash. You may be able to take the blower motor out to see the evap core and see if there is dye in there. If it is leaking that fast a hologen leak detector should pick it up too.
How involved is it to take the blower motor out? Would I have to pull the whole dash out to do so? A halogen leak detector is the blue flashlight looking thing I am assuming?

If your accumulator has a fabric blanket around it, take that off and look for rust / leaks. On most cars accumulator failure is really rare, so your mechanic might not have looked at it closely.

This thread has a good discussion of A/C troubleshooting - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316697
I am assuming the accumulator is the thing under the dash that looks like the canister with 2 hoses going to it that condensate when the AC is on?

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette
I am assuming the accumulator is the thing under the dash that looks like the canister with 2 hoses going to it that condensate when the AC is on?
That's it - the blanket traps moisture and eventually the can rusts out.

If that's not it, and you can't see any other obvious leaks under the hood, I'd try replacing the schraeder valves (since they're pretty cheap anyway) along with a can of sealant.

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
That's it - the blanket traps moisture and eventually the can rusts out.

If that's not it, and you can't see any other obvious leaks under the hood, I'd try replacing the schraeder valves (since they're pretty cheap anyway) along with a can of sealant.
How much of a PITA is it to change out the can?

Also, when I had the system charged my mechanic changed out the little things that look like the part of a valve stem that screws in and out of the high and low side - are those schraeder valves?

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette
How much of a PITA is it to change out the can?

Also, when I had the system charged my mechanic changed out the little things that look like the part of a valve stem that screws in and out of the high and low side - are those schraeder valves?
Changing out the can is really easy. You'll need fuel line disconnect tools to take it off (they're cheap).

After you replace it, the system needs to be evacuated before filling with refrigerant. Are you going to do this yourself?

Sounds like your mechanic already tried replacing the valves.

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Is that can something I could buy an aftermarket replacement at like AutoZone or Advanced? Or is that something I would need to get at a dealer / junkyard only - and if this is bad, would that explain why my truck is blowing HOT air?

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette
Is that can something I could buy an aftermarket replacement at like AutoZone or Advanced? Or is that something I would need to get at a dealer / junkyard only - and if this is bad, would that explain why my truck is blowing HOT air?
If the accumulator has a hole in it, that's where the refrigerant is leaking out.

Did you take a look at it yet? Does yours have a blanket, and if so what does it look like under the blanket?

If you need one, the auto parts chains should have it, or be able to get it.

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
I have no idea what it looks like, I am at work 45 miles away from my truck. Projected high of 88º today in Jersey - I opted to take the Civic, can't beat 40mpg and AC for a commuter car on a day like today :)

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
How would I be able to tell if there is a hole in the accumulator? Would I physically be able to see the hole if it is losing 1.7 pounds of freon in a day?

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
After being charged did it blow cold? I wouldn't be surprised if the blend door is stuck in the hot position along with your a/c leak.

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
After being charged did it blow cold? I wouldn't be surprised if the blend door is stuck in the hot position along with your a/c leak.
After it was re-charged, the AC did blow cold...From the way it was explained to me, if the blend door was stuck, the AC wouldn't have blown cold at all right?

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
After it was re-charged, the AC did blow cold...From the way it was explained to me, if the blend door was stuck, the AC wouldn't have blown cold at all right?
It would blow cool till the engine warmed up then heat. Are you loosing pressure over time? A common place for leaks is the accumulator rusting out and the o-rings from the compressor line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Vacuum leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
prayforsurf0 Wind Shield Seam Leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
K Where could my coolant leak/issue be? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 2
F Oil leak coming from front of the engine Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
E Radiator Leak !? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
S Found my AC leak, now what? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
S 5.0 coolant leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
Brem95 Messy leak help ID? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 10
E 97 V8 AWD help diagnosing leak from accident Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 20
F 5r55e post rebuild leak after 20 k miles 98 4.0 sohc 2wd Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
B Another intake gasket leak thread... Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
Mike65 Coolant leak l/s front 4.0 SOHC. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
N 4.0 pushrod coolant leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 17
B Oil leak? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
T Coolant Leak Help Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
J Radiator leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
E Mystery: Coolant leak stopped? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
D Fuel leak - 96 Explorer Sport Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
C Rear differential oil leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 7
D '95 Explorer: Water Leak From Unknown Part Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 26
M 97 5.0 mountaineer coolant leak & tapping Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
B Where is this coolant leak coming from? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 6
R Need help with a vacuum hose leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
R Chasing Oil Leak & Dorman "no holes" Balancer Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
I 99 Explorer,4.0 SOHC,p0455 code,oil leak. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 6
E 96 Explorer XL Sport transfer case leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
E Gas Leak? (Maybe?) Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
L Transmission Leak only after sitting in driveway? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 7
D Minor Coolant Leak - help ID this part? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 5
B 5.0 Coolant leak from bottom of engine Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 32
T Water leak and I'm probably screwed Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 12
Jim Faulkner Tracing down leak(s) Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
C Only defrost Vacuum leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
L Can you help me find the source of this leak. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 9
A Sunroof Leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
A small mystery coolant leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 7
M Oil leak! Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
M 1996 Sport - 4.0 OHV Coolant Leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
D Intake leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 34
A Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 5
W Cooling system leak help Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
fast_dave 4.0 OHV Oil Filter Adapter / Mount Leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 10
A 1998 antifreeze leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
C Rear main seal leak additive? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
S Rack leak - pressure hose or boot? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
F Oil leak after LIM/valve cover job Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 15
S Coolant Leak - Water Pump or Timing Cover? (Video) Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
Mikey98Ex5.0 4R70W fluid leak. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 17
B Massive Oil Leak Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 36
S Coolant leak from water pump bolt Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 18