• Register Today It's free!

AC Not cooling like it should

matts93Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston,AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie
I couldnt find the AC Threads so I am going to ask the question here.
My AC will freeze you out when running down the road, but when i get in city traffic it starts to warm air. Is this a problem with my ac or the cooling system. I know you can only cool the same amount as the heat you can discharge in the environment.
I dont know, please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you are not getting enough airflow through the radiator (and condenser coil) when in traffic. Your fan clutch is probably shot (like mine, but I'm too lazy to replace it). When my STX was new, the fan made a lot of noise (much airflow) at low speeds. Is your temp. gage climbing in traffic too? Some people on this board have switched to or added electric fans to help this problem.

my temp gauge climbs from a nothing to a quarter in traffic, that is when it stops cooling.

ya i would blow your condenser out with compressed air from inside-out "threw rad "
be sure you get all the grim out from in between them and assure all ducting and flaps around the rad and condenser are there if you can use a blowgun h2o/compressed air to clean it works really well.. then if that don't do it its poss. going to be the fan clutch assyl.

Your theromostat may be stuck if the guage reads nothing then climbs to only a 1/4. If it's never been replaced or your not sure, replace it first.

the thremostat was replaced last summer because it kept over heating, i say over heating it never got past 3/4 on the gauge, which the ford dealership said was fine, i didnt want to take the chance so i had it replaced. I went 4 wheel driving in the snow back in december, yes it snows in AR, and it has never heated up since. The heater blows air the same temp as outside, could these problems be related.

I did clean out between the radiator and condenser. Alot of leaves, a baby bird that was dead and other debris. Havent drove in town on a hot day, so i dont know if that fixed my problem yet.

Back