AC not holding a charge

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Had my AC recharged last Saturday. Vehicle sat from Saturday night to Wednesday night. Didn't really use the AC Thursday because it was pretty cool out, Friday night I feel like it's not cooling as cool as it should, yesterday it's back to being like it was prior to the recharge, and today I checked and the compressor is cycling at idle like it did before the recharge.

I did some searching and people were saying to check the accumulator. Just to confirm, the accumulator is the part right next to the blower motor with the low pressure service port, correct?

Also, any other places to check? Dye test didn't show any results when I had it recharged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have always done just a visual inspection of all the components. There should be oily residue from where it is leaking. Start over at the compressor, follow the hose to the accumulator, then it goes back into the evaporator comes out and goes to the condenser and then back to the compressor. Check all the fittings closely and where the hoses have crimped on connections. That is strange to leak that much refrigerant in just a few days and not to see it with the dye.

Soap bubbles can be your friend when looking for a refrigerant leak.

Spray everything and watch to see if any bubbles "grow".

Most common to least spots to leak are the service port valves, the pressure switches, o-rings, hoses, compressor front seal, condenser and evap itself.

look for signs of oil under the compresser and at the a/c drain.

If you have the steel accumulator that is the most likely culprit.

You realize you need a black light (UV light) to see the dye? I checked mine at night with a black light bulb in a table lamp, found the entire accumulator one green glowing ball...

Bill

at one point, Ford used an accumulator that had some sort of foam insulation material around it. this foam tended to hold moister and eventually would rot through the steel. Ford eventually did away with this type of accumulator. if you have this type of accumulator, it might be the source of you leak.

You realize you need a black light (UV light) to see the dye? I checked mine at night with a black light bulb in a table lamp, found the entire accumulator one green glowing ball...

Bill

I'm well aware how UV Dye works, and I'm sure the mechanic I had to the evacuation and recharge is too. But I believe he just checked the hoses and stuff. Accumulators don't usually rot out on most cars lol.

I may pickup a UV light and run it over the engine while it's dark if i cant physically feel/see if the accumulator is rusted out.

Bill
Also need yellow glasses

Just sayin' - start easy.

Soap/Water test the "Schrader" type port valves - especially if they're original / 21 years old.

After that, the rear of the compressor where A/C hose fits into/onto the compressor.

The O-Ring on that connection is subjected to all sorts of heat and vibration - again - especially if it's original / 21 years old.

Waiting for @donalds to add his .02 to this thread ;)

Just sayin' - start easy.

Soap/Water test the "Schrader" type port valves - especially if they're original / 21 years old.

After that, the rear of the compressor where A/C hose fits into/onto the compressor.

The O-Ring on that connection is subjected to all sorts of heat and vibration - again - especia. I agree with your thinking.

Back