AC not working. AC "spins" for a second then clicks off then repeats. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC not working. AC "spins" for a second then clicks off then repeats.

nevrsumr22

Reaction score
City, State
Bel Air, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
Any ideas? Thought it might be the AC clutch relay so I bought one and it's still the same. I was fine last year. It clicks on then right back off again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low R135a?

Yes any auto part store (as well places like walmart) will have an A/C "recharge" kit. Get one with a gauge follow the instructions do not over charge the system. If you are low then you have a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed, you do not use up refrigerant and it does not go bad so if you need some some thing is wrong (a leak)

Yes any auto part store (as well places like walmart) will have an A/C "recharge" kit. Get one with a gauge follow the instructions do not over charge the system. If you are low then you have a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed, you do not use up refrigerant and it does not go bad so if you need some some thing is wrong (a leak)

Hey thanks I'll try. Is there anywhere that has a picture of where to fill it on the engine or compressor?

4 5 what ever fits :) (yes its 134a)

Hey thanks I'll try. Is there anywhere that has a picture of where to fill it on the engine or compressor?

Its on the pass side next to the radiator, blue(?) cap. The "kit" will only plug into the correct side of the system (low side)

I got the stuff but was having problems finding the plug. I saw the green cap one but that didn't look right. I saw on right up front facing upward on top of the radiator with a black cap but it didn't fit. I'll go back out again and look.

The black is your high pressure, the green should be your low pressure. Pull back on the compression fitting when connecting the hose to the lower pressure line. If your confused, take it to a professional.

^^^ What he said

Personally, I don't find those DIY kits accurate, cause you can easily over charge your system.. I would recommend getting a set of manifold gauges so you can watch your high & lower pressures as your filling otherwise you may easily over charge the system.

Well too late I used the can. The one on the left had a black cap also but it fit right on and gave me a pressure reading. As soon as the pressure was up the AC kicked on then would drop then the ac would cut off. I added the stuff and now the ac keeps on for about 10 seconds (blows cold air (woo hoo)) then pressure drops then cuts off again till the pressure goes back up then repeats.

When the ac kicks on it goes below 30 and cuts off. Do I need another can or just take it in?

There is a good size accumulator tank so a an ounce or 2 should not really hurt any thing.

By the way now that I think of it, the fitting you use to fill the system is on the accumulator tank.

Well too late I used the can. The one on the left had a black cap also but it fit right on and gave me a pressure reading. As soon as the pressure was up the AC kicked on then would drop then the ac would cut off. I added the stuff and now the ac keeps on for about 10 seconds (blows cold air (woo hoo)) then pressure drops then cuts off again till the pressure goes back up then repeats.

When the ac kicks on it goes below 30 and cuts off. Do I need another can or just take it in?

You need more, take it in if you want. You have a good size leak if its down 12+ ounces.

There is a good size accumulator tank so a an ounce or 2 should not really hurt any thing.

By the way now that I think of it, the fitting you use to fill the system is on the accumulator tank.

The first can was 19oz and it took it all. It seems this is fixing the issue since now the ac is ruinning but the pressure still drops when the ac kicks in.

One question - Should I be going by the pressure when the ac is running or not running?

Thanks for everyones help by the way. :D:thumbsup:

Running

Well the other can got it I think. Stays on now and ice cold. I probably have a leak so I'll just watch it for now. Thanks for all your help.

I always grumble when I read threads about guys just going to the auto parts store, getting a can of R134a, and recharging their A/C systems. Here in WI, it's banned for consumer use. Only place you can get it is thru a repair shop that's licensed. And then, they can only buy it in 30# kegs.

But...The little 12 ounce cylinders that power those portable air horns are nothing more than R134a! The fitting is different on the top of the can though. So, it's illegal to add more refrigerant to your A/C system, but perfectly fine to let it blow out into the air??!? I'll never understand this state's stupid laws.

Ususally when I travel out of state, I'll stop somewhere and buy a couple cases of 12 ounce cans of R134a. They usually look at me a little funny when I'm buying such a large quantity of it, but I'll just explain that I'm from WI, and it's not available to us here. Never had a problem. One store clerk even joked that I was a modern-day bootlegger!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always grumble when I read threads about guys just going to the auto parts store, getting a can of R134a, and recharging their A/C systems. Here in WI, it's banned for consumer use. Only place you can get it is thru a repair shop that's licensed. And then, they can only buy it in 30# kegs.

But...The little 12 ounce cylinders that power those portable air horns are nothing more than R134a! The fitting is different on the top of the can though. So, it's illegal to add more refrigerant to your A/C system, but perfectly fine to let it blow out into the air??!? I'll never understand this state's stupid laws.

Ususally when I travel out of state, I'll stop somewhere and buy a couple cases of 12 ounce cans of R134a. They usually look at me a little funny when I'm buying such a large quantity of it, but I'll just explain that I'm from WI, and it's not available to us here. Never had a problem. One store clerk even joked that I was a modern-day bootlegger!

Huh. I wasn't aware it was banned anywhere for consumer use. I can remember when you could still buy R 12, like 10 years ago.

Back