AC On = No Low-End!

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
When i put the AC on, i lose ALL low-end power...it seems to take forever to shift out of first from a dead stop, but when it does, all the power seems to be back.

I know AC affects the engine as a whole (i've always been a windows-down kinda guy) but should it be THIS bad?

Also, after hard accelleration, when i come to a stop, the idle lopes and seems like it wants to die (drops dow to about 400-500 rpm) and then recovers. It has not gotten to the point where it actually dies. I've got an EGR issue (p0402) that i have yet to solve, even with new parts. Could this be EGR related?

Yeah it is that bad. There is a big difference in my low end between AC and no AC. The RPM thing is another story. Don't know what causes that. Mine does it every once and a while though.

Back when I had to build my own EGR system for my e150 van, I had it setup incorrectly.. I had it set to put EGR gas in even at idle.. That brought the idle way down.. Once I had it set to only put in EGR gas once I was moving (used the right type of vacuum port) my idle cleaned up.

so, yes I think it could be the EGR that is causing the low idle..

~Mark

Back