• Register Today It's free!

AC -- ORings

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I converted my 91 to the new AC last summer. Well, my o-rings must be cracked because by Sept. all the cool air was gone.

Where can I buy new O-Rings? How many do I need? Does someone have a procedure or does Haynes cover this?

I have the special tools to disconnect the high pressure AC lines. Do I need anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done this with both my 92 Ranger and Ex. You can buy a basic o-ring kit at any auto store. You'll probably have a few left over from the kit. Be sure you to clean your old lines with pressured air and alcohol. And don't forget the O-tube. Just put the new o-rings and springs on and make sure everything connects good. You should be good to go. Good luck!

Where do I need to change things? It is getting very 'warm' here in NC. :)

On the back of the AC pump, there is a brown metal runner with two metal lines coming out. Is this where I need to change o-rings? I just need some more detail on where things go.

There is an o-ring (or two, I can't remember) there and also other areas. Just follow the lines and you'll find them. Wherever there is a connection, you'll have an o-ring. You'll need a special disconnect tool to remove your lines. You can find them cheap. Change out the oriface tube too. It gets clogged easily if you've had any problems with compressor failure. It's only a couple bucks. Good luck.

Ok, a few more questions:

1)I have leakage where the metal tube connects to the rest of the metal tube (its a rubber grommet that looks like a 4 inch long radiator tube). Do I need to replace all of that?

2)I have the high pressure release tool (little plastic rings) that I used for the fuel filter, are these the same ones I need?

3)Do I need any other tools?

4)Where is the oriface tube located and can I get one in a auto store?

I'll get under my hood today and take a look. It's been over a year since I've done mine.

Thanks! Let me know what you find. If you have a digital camera, I would really appreciate a pic with arrows.

Back