AC Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Problem

wesdog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt sport trac
Well it seems the problem i am having may be the ac clutch just wanted some input. The problem starts with I turn on the ac and it works fine, but when it cycles off it stays off. now if you get out of the truck tap on the clutch it engages. I was just wondering if low coolant could cause this also. Thanks for any help. if you need anymore input let me know.:salute:

You should take a test light and check the wires on top of compressor for 12v.if you have 12v but compressor not running and a tap will make it start this indicates the coil assembly behind the A/C pully is getting weak. You may be able to help the coil that is getting weak by shutting down truck removing the plate from front of compressor by removing ONLY the 8mm bolt from the center of the compressor then simply pull the plate from the compressor. careful not to loose the shim(washers)they may be stuck to the end of the compressor shaft. Up inside the center of the plate there will be 1 or more shims will look like really small washers. They set the distance at which the plate sits from the face of the pully. By replacing the shim/shims with fewer/thinner shims the plate will be a few mm closer to the pulley therefore requiring less magnetic strength of the coil to pull the plate and pulley together. Sorry for the ramblin post hope it makes sence to someone.

yea i did pull it apart and cleaned it off really well. It looked like oil and grime all over the back. Probably from the power steering pump when it was leaking. Cleaned it off real well with a scotch pad and it has worked fine so far, But i will probably need a clutch soon anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Back