• Register Today It's free!

AC question

Accx4

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Just picked up an '04 xlt. The heat works and the blower works but the AC is producing nothing if not slightly hotter than ambient temp. After a run on the freeway for a bit, the temp is barely cooler than ambient. The fan sounds like is should be pushing way more air than it does but that may just be the fan noise on high. I pulled the glove box and both actuators are functioning. As well, the temperature change from AC to Heat to AC etc. is noticeably different so I know the blend door actuator is functioning (though I can't verify if it is making its full travel so I can't rule out the blend door being partially open to the heater core. On my Cadillac, the OBD2 will give climate control readings. Apparently the Explorer doesn't? Suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the AC clutch cycling? How's the refrigerant level?

The compressor clutch cycles but it seems to do so very quickly (like on 3 seconds. off 5 seconds.) I did get the recirc door off the top of the blower motor so I now have serious air flow. I will dig into that issue in a week or two to replace it. How long should the compressor clutch cycle? Every car I have had prior has cycled a lot less often and run for longer... Thoughts? (as far as refrigerant level, I can't really tell... it won't take any...)

You've got a leak. Easiest things to check are the schrader valves.

I got a guage set from Harbor Freight, a vacuum pump, and some cans of R134a. I was lucky and I was able to tighten the Schrader valve so it wouldn't leak. But if your system is discharged, it probably wouldn't be hard to change the valves.

After I pumped it down for a half hour with the vacuum pump, I then added a tiny bit of oil, then the required amount of R134a. I didn't add an entire amount of oil because the vacuum pump won't remove oil. It will only remove a little oil that comes out with the refrigerant. So far after two years it's been fine.

Yes, it did cost a little to get the gauges and pump, but it was much less than the cost of a service. If you have any air in the system, no amount of refrigerant added will give you decent cooling. You will probably have to vacuum the system down. (I already tried that).

But you don't know the history. You have a leak but it may be slight. I've had a couple cars that needed a can every season. It was not worth trying to resolve the leak.

You might just try servicing and see how it behaves.

But everyone who messes with their own cars should teach temseleves some HVAC. $150 for a decent vac pump and a cheap set of gauges and i have saved THOUSAND$$ doing my own AC work. I graduated to doing my home HVAC and saved THOUSAND$ more.

It aint rocket science.

But you don't know the history. You have a leak but it may be slight. I've had a couple cars that needed a can every season. It was not worth trying to resolve the leak.

You might just try servicing and see how it behaves.

But everyone who messes with their own cars should teach temseleves some HVAC. $150 for a decent vac pump and a cheap set of gauges and i have saved THOUSAND$$ doing my own AC work. I graduated to doing my home HVAC and saved THOUSAND$ more.

It aint rocket science.
In my neck of the woods, some of the auto parts stores have the vacuum pumps as loaner tools...

Well the problem has been corrected... at least for now. I was able to get Freon into the system. Apparently the new self-sealing cans don't work with the taps I have that go with the puncture tops because the minute you back out the needle, the can seals... So, short story short, it is blowing a lot of air and it is quite chilly! Thanks all for your inputs...

Back