• Register Today It's free!

AC quick connect problems

firewolfm

Reaction score
City, State
Albrightsville,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94' X Sport, '92' XLT
I own a 1994 Explorer and when I replaced the condenser I connected the H-press. line and the L-press. line with the quick connects provided on the new part.
While charging the system the L-press line blew off releasing all the refrig.,and oil I had put in the system.
When I replaced the connection and started to recharge the AC sys. I noticed that once again the L-press. line had started to come apart?
There are O-rings on both lines and I fear that there is some damage to the L-press. side rings, but I still don't get-it why the line blew apart? Anyone have this problem and can shed some light before I waste more refrigerant @ $8.00 per 12 oz. can I would be very appreciative of some HELP !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you pull the expansion orfice out and check it for blockage? Sounds as if the system might be plugged on the suction side. If so, you are lucky the the new condenser didn't split open.

Charles

From the description, you are missing the retaining clips that go over the LP and HP fittings, there isn't one on the accumulator. These are not just safety items, they are actually part of the connection system. I don't have a picture handy, if you don't know what I'm talking about (you had to remove them to separate the fittings) say something and I'll take a picture.

Hey Shamaal,
Did you say you could take a pic of these retaining clips? I don't remember seeing anything holding the lines together but the quick connect itself?

Nothing is plugged up but thanks for the input

LP fitting. There's one on the HP also. Speaking from experience, the HP fitting will come apart if the clip isn't on. The reason the accumulator doesn't come off is the geometry of the tube doesn't permit it to separate.

Attachments

• Safety Clip 001.jpg
    Safety Clip 001.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,293

Back