AC quit...compressor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC quit...compressor?

posmindset

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Explorer 4.6L 4x4
The ac quit on my 2002 Explorer 4.6l eddie bauer.

air still blows, just not cold, if i turn up the heat, it will blow hot air.

I was told it was the ac control module in the dash, i replaced it and it didn't fix the issue.

just checked the ac compressor clutch and it's not spinning with the ac on high.

So I'm guessing it's the compressor needs replacement.

Does that sound correct or might it be something else?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for leaks first, need to do more checks before replacing the compressor.

try adding a refrigerant with a uv dye to detect leaks, the leak needs to be fixed first.

if adding a refrigerant doesn't activate the compressor, the relay or the clutch might be failing. You could do this test by shorting the low pressure switch or directly powering the clutch.

can you add refrigerant if the compressor is not working?

I just tried adding refrigerant and it doesn't seem to be taking any in.

can is attached securely but when i pull the trigger a few times to apply it the refrigerant acts like it's backed up in the hose nosel and then shoots out a bit from the can/hose connection.

hose/can connection is tight as i can get it

when i remove the connector from the port alot of pressure releases from in the hose connector telling me that it's not getting into the system

guage on the can obviously doesn't read anything as the compressor is not working

not getting any codes either

you need to jump the low pressure switch to activate the compressor (normally it's not necessary). it needs to run to get that refrigerant flowing. have you check the fuses and swap the relays to check if there are no electrical problems?

the high side pressure is rapidly fluctuating up and down

shaking in the hoses pretty strong

sounds like bad news.....does this mean the compressor is bad?

you can't arrive at that conclusion if you don't know the low pressure yet. It will go up and down if it hasn't reach the correct pressures (both low and high)

I'm assuming you are able to jump the low pressure switch and enabled the compressor?

yes compressor is back functioning again, ac is working and refrigerant is in the normal range and does not need to be added to

So do you have cool air? If refrigerant is now at normal level with compressor running and fan and AC are set to high, you should have cool air.

So do you have cool air? If refrigerant is now at normal level with compressor running and fan and AC are set to high, you should have cool air.

yes, i do have cool air.

but still trying to figure out why cool air stopped for 4-5 days, what caused it and how to stop it from happening again

The refrigerant level was excessivly low. The compressor stopped functioning as it should so as not to burn up. You replaced enough refrigerant that the compressor started to work again. The high side pressure fluctuated wildly as is normal when the refrigerant level is still low. As you reached an adequate level it finally settled in at the appropriate pressure and you now have cool air.

Only question that remains is where is the leak that led to the compressor shutting down and how big is it?

Back