ac stops bloing cold air | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ac stops bloing cold air

marcus3535

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I have a 2004 explorer that the ac gets cold in idle but when I step on the gas it turns hot any way to fix this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 92 with the exact opposite problem. Stop moving even just let off the gas it blows hot. RPM goes up it blows cold so I don't have to be moving its a RPM thing and I still need help. Sorry I know this doesn't help buit your not the only one out there melting in this heat. lol

Marcus3535, check if the compressor is cycling on and off. If the compressor is disengaging, your system may be over or undercharged. If you are unsure, take it to a good AC shop.

Runningred92, check for a clogged condenser or other internal blockage in the system (assuming the freon charge is correct).

Just HOT Air Now

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 V8, purchased it used and did more work than it was probably worth.

However, the A/C WAS blowing slightly cool air, appeared to be overcharged, the compressor just kept cycling on and off.

I called a local shop and they told me to use a screw driver and let the freon out and see if the cycling stopped, if so, just add the right amount.

Well since I followed their instructions, it only blows HOT air, even after adding a partial can of 134. About a fourth of the can appears to be overcharged.

Could it be a bad drier/accummulator or orfice tube, possibly both? Would a bad compressor even cycle on and off?

Should I just take it to a reputable shop and quite playing mechanic?

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 V8, purchased it used and did more work than it was probably worth.

However, the A/C WAS blowing slightly cool air, appeared to be overcharged, the compressor just kept cycling on and off.

I called a local shop and they told me to use a screw driver and let the freon out and see if the cycling stopped, if so, just add the right amount.

Well since I followed their instructions, it only blows HOT air, even after adding a partial can of 134. About a fourth of the can appears to be overcharged.

Could it be a bad drier/accummulator or orfice tube, possibly both? Would a bad compressor even cycle on and off?

Should I just take it to a reputable shop and quite playing mechanic?

How do you know it is overcharged?

Overcharge is uncommon, usually the system is undercharged. Before you do anything, check the charge level. Gauges you can get at the parts store and Wal-Mart will only tell you half the story but may do the job if it's a simple charge level issue.

I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop and having it diagnosed. They should not charge much if they are not crooks. I would feel okay with paying up to $30 for a system test or $70 for full service with freon included.

If you want, you can check the pressure at the low side port with an off-the-shelf gauge. If the system is in good working order it will tell you fairly closely the level of charge.

Compressor cycling is to protect the system from high or low charge conditions. It should run non-stop if it's properly charged.

I used one of those really cheap gauges that came with the can, it would drop way down into the white area and run way up into the red zone as the system compressor turned off and on. Since it went so far into the red I (big mistake) assumed it was overcharged.

Local shop wants $50.00 to diagnose and tell me what problem is, it is a bit higher than $30.00 but in the long run, probably less expensive than to just start replacing parts hoping to get it right eventually.

Probably spend that on a good set of gauges.

Thanks for the input.

Back