Blaine122300

Elite Non explorer owner
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Land Rover Disco
Has anyone done this.
If so, how do you run the oiler and regulator and such. I really want to do this since my AC don't work no more. I just want to use the compressor for onboard air. I know I need an oiler and probably some sort of tank. I was thinking of maybe the ac cooler that is in front of the radiator. Would that work? I need some info on this mod. If no one has done it, I am going to figure it out myself and screw everything up till I get it right. Thanks

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Blaine122300
Has anyone done this.
If so, how do you run the oiler and regulator and such. I really want to do this since my AC don't work no more. I just want to use the compressor for onboard air. I know I need an oiler and probably some sort of tank. I was thinking of maybe the ac cooler that is in front of the radiator. Would that work? I need some info on this mod. If no one has done it, I am going to figure it out myself and screw everything up till I get it right. Thanks

Andy

Well.....
Take a look at how the Jeepers do it....
They use Standard Compressed Air Components.
E-Bay is great for finding these items.....
I too plan on installing an Air Compressor sysem in my Ex, BUT I will keep my Factory AC....(don't ask how, casuse im not gonna tell you, its a Surprise!) Well I purchased an Air Tank from e-bay. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it, it had a Manifold, a Regulator, a Gague, a Pop-off Valve, Pressure Switch, and a Coil Hose w/ Air Chuck. All Parts I need for my Project. You mentioned something about using your AC Cooler as a tank.... DO NOT DO THIS! the AC cooler is made of thin metal, which won't hold up to the pressure of a Air System.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

onboardair.com

Also here's a BII with a converted stock ac compressor.........

http://www.broncoII4x4.com

Eventually I will be doing this conversion, luckily on the BII there is a ton of room under the truck (behind the T case, opposite the muffler) for a tank.......

Nothing like running air tools from your truck!

Wow, The OBA setup on the BII web page is kind of Down and Dirty.... For a little more $, you can make a Sweet OBA System..... that is Cleaner, more flexible and Safer...

yeah but you can see that truck is all built that way, simply a cheap trial rig that really kicks ass doing what it was built to do......
but he also took the time to get some pictures and write up somepointers when doing this using the stock Ford compressor, so it is worth a mention.

I spent hours going through websites researching setups. Some are basic, some are very complex and custom. I will be keeping mine simple, to minimize wiring and plumbing, yet still have a hook up under the hood for a 30' length of hose and a 3-5 gallon tank, should be able to keep up with air tools no problem and fill some 33's in no time flat.............

Well that Bronco II was interesting I had found this one on a Bronco Dead Link Removed He had an good write up on it.

Back