• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration problem

Justin5150

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer eddie bauer
93 v6 explorer. Idles fine, starts fine, seems normal. Under light acceleration, 1/4 throttle or so, there are no problems. If you push harder, 1/2 to full throttle, it falls on its face then accelerates again, just exactly like if I were to push the pedal to the floor and let off as if I were tapping my foot to a steady beat. It will continue to do so until you actually let off of the pedal. Then, it proceeds as if nothing happened as long as you don't push the pedal as to the point it started "jumpimg".

Now, sometimes shutting it off and restarting after a short bit makes it more drivable, sometimes not. It does it cold, warm or hot. There are no codes and the cel doesn't come on when this occurs.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Test the system pressure, the pressure regulator, and the fuel filter. The pressure regulator has a vacuum line so inspect it for fuel, indicates a ruptured diaphragm.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Test the system pressure, the pressure regulator, and the fuel filter. The pressure regulator has a vacuum line so inspect it for fuel, indicates a ruptured diaphragm.
Okay, I'll test the pressure. New fuel pump, filter and plugs were installed. Drove great for 3 days under any conditions. This problem just started.

Just because it is a 'New' pump doesn't mean it is a 'Good' pump. Pressure testing will show if the pump is good. Don't just test at idle, test at speed under load if you can. Fuel volume testing (I.E. X amount of fuel in a measured container in Y amount of time) will show if there is a restriction in the system

If you have water in your fuel it will cause the fuel filter paper to swell and cause a restriction. If you dropped your tank to change the fuel pump before and testing shows a low pressure or an insufficient flow when you do a fuel volume test replace the filter and retest. If no change save the used filter for next time.

Did you change the spark plug wires as well?

I had similar symptoms with my Paseo, and changing those solved it.

Back