Accelerator pedal removal procedure - P2135 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accelerator pedal removal procedure - P2135

SouthernSky

Reaction score
City, State
Deville Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT 4.0L
2009 Ford Explorer XLT 6 cylinder

I have the standard, non-adjustable, drive-by-wire, accelerator pedal with sensor. The pedal has three bolts and three nuts, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get to the top bolt. I tried loosening just the accessible nut but of course the whole bolt turns. Is there a procedure for removing other stuff to get to that top bolt?

My issue is recurring P2135. It's the only code. I've already changed the TPS twice, throttle body cleaned thoroughly twice, and separated, repaired and relocated the overheated TPS wires. I'm able to clear the code but the wrench comes back in a few hundred miles. So now I'm trying a pedal sensor swap.

Last resort is to change the harness but I have not been able to locate a 9L2Z14398AKA anywhere (dealers, eBay, or even a decent used one in a junkyard). If anyone has any ideas here, please let me know. And thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No special procedure is described in the Workshop Manual I'm looking at, though it's for an '07... attached.

Wait, are you taking the correct nuts off? It looks like they want you to remove the whole mounting plate it's fastened to, see #2 on the attachment.

Unfortunately this Manual doesn't seem to include troubleshooting for your issue, states to refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Manual, which is apparently something I either don't have, or can't find in this antiquated manual's menus.

Attachments

• Accelerator Pedal 2007.pdf
    198.6 KB · Views: 69

Turns out the pedal was adjustable. I broke down and bought an online service manual which was helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Back