Access to Tailgate Sheet Metal from Inside? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Access to Tailgate Sheet Metal from Inside?

L_turn9

Reaction score
City, State
Chester
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer 4.0 V6 4WD
Hi Gang!
I am a new owner of a used 06 Explorer. The sheetmetal was great until our son thought he could bump the tailgate with his hip to get it to close after he put some plywood from the hardware store in the rear. Now there's a dent at the right center of the door (next to the lic plate, drivers side).
If I can get behind it I may be able to smooth it out but I was wondering if I will have access to the exterior sheet metal after removing the t'gate inside panel? Most vehicles have double layers of sheet metal making this method difficult/impossible without specialized tools. I'd like to avoid pulling this panel unless I have a chance at getting to the underside of the sheet metal. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pulling the plastic panel is a 5 minute job. Two 8mm bolts inside the handle and just pull it down - bunch of metal clips around.
Yes, it is a double layer part but there are some openings that may make it possible to push it from inside.
Worth the try.

Suction cup with big handle on wet clean sheet metal may pop it outftom outside

Be careful pulling the panel - there are at least two connectors in the window area that don't pull down - they pull out. I broke mine. Having said that - I haven't noticed any rattles in that area. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I don't remember the exact situation from 2 years ago but I would suggest that once you break the bottom loose that you pull in on the trim at the middle of the window. I think that will work better for you although again - my memory isn't clear on exactly where they are. Best thing to do would be to stop there and put a mirror and a flashlight up there and see what you are dealing with.

Depending on where the dent is, you may not be able to get to it that easily. I put a dent in my wifes' tailgate in a very similar location. After pulling the plastic trim there are fairly large holes on either side, but the middle part is enclosed making it difficult to get behind. I need to call a PDR guy to try and get the dent taken out of ours as I could not do it myself.

Back