Accessing torque converter bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accessing torque converter bolts

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I'm sure this has been asked before yet here I am... I'm removing my engine and need to know how do I get access to the torque converter bolts? The engine is seized i think it's a rod. I was told to turn the engine backwards but I'm afraid the harmonic balancer bolt my come out. If I can't turn the engine, what's my options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You get to the TC nuts at the front or through the starter pocket, rotating the crank a little at a time, to reach all of those four.

You get to the TC nuts at the front or through the starter pocket, rotating the crank a little at a time, to reach all of those four.
I finally got the starter out. It has 3 bolts holding it in. I was able to rotate the engine backwards until a tc bolt was in the starter hole. I don't see any way to get the bolt out. It's too far in the opening. How do I get these out?

Can't you rotate the engine to a point where you can get a socket onto the bolt? It's been 15 years since I took my 93 engine and trans out of my old Explorer, I don't recall what those parts looked like anymore.

I looked at the new engine and there's a hole on the opposite side from the starter. I went under to look and there was a rubber plug. I pulled it out and that's the tc access point. Now I can't turn the engine more than a 1/4 turn. I can only get to 1 tc bolt. How do I get the engine out if I can't get all the tc bolts out

The engine will have to turn more than that 1/4 turn, to remove those four TC bolts. You found another place to access the bolts, but it sounds like more is needed to separate the trans. If you can't find a way to access the TC bolts, then the trans will have to come out with the engine, or the blockage will have to be removed. I'm sorry to hear the engine has locked up, a broken rod could do that.

The engine will have to turn more than that 1/4 turn, to remove those four TC bolts. You found another place to access the bolts, but it sounds like more is needed to separate the trans. If you can't find a way to access the TC bolts, then the trans will have to come out with the engine, or the blockage will have to be removed. I'm sorry to hear the engine has locked up, a broken rod could do that.

I'm sure it's a broken rod. The engine was knocking really bad before it died. If the take the engine and trans together how do I separate them once out. I guess once out I can roll them over take the oil pan off and take the broken rod out. Any easier way to get this engine out?

I would strip the engine of the external parts to make it easier to lift with the transmission. If I was there, I would look hard at rotating the engine enough to reach two of the TC bolts turning it one way, and then the other two, the other way. If it really can't rotate enough, I'd plan to pull the trans with it.

I would strip the engine of the external parts to make it easier to lift with the transmission. If I was there, I would look hard at rotating the engine enough to reach two of the TC bolts turning it one way, and then the other two, the other way. If it really can't rotate enough, I'd plan to pull the trans with it.
What about this for a plan... Disconnect the motor mounts then lift the engine as much as I can then take the oil pan off and try to remove the broken rod.

I looked at it again. Looks like if I drop the sway bar and the front differential I could take the oil pan down and hopefully access the broken rod. Any thoughts?

I'm sure this has been asked before yet here I am... I'm removing my engine and need to know how do I get access to the torque converter bolts? The engine is seized i think it's a rod. I was told to turn the engine backwards but I'm afraid the harmonic balancer bolt my come out. If I can't turn the engine, what's my options?
The trick depends on just how "seized" is the engine; what is causing it. I'd remove the heads, look for piston(s) jamed up against valves preventing movement. Heads off, crank may turn. If a rod broke, is twisted up inside, jamming everything up, that's another matter. This might be relieved by removal of the oil pan to see what the hell happened inside.

Yes, turning backwards likely would back out the big bolt.

I have the oil pan off and two rods are broken. Most of it is in the oil pan but one rod it jammed on the top of the block preventing the engine from turning.

20210709_151401.jpg

Back