Accidentally broke it. Can I seal it off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accidentally broke it. Can I seal it off?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L V6 SOHC JOB1 (VIN E)

I accidentally broke the plastic "T" fitting on the rubber Fuel Vapor Return Line (F77Z-9G271-AA). Would it be OK to remove the 2 lines (coming off the T) that connect to the upper intake manifold, seal the 2 corresponding ports in the manifold, and seal the line (coming from the fuel tank... I assume) where it broke at the T? Please advise. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might misunderstand but I think you'd get a evap trouble code from doing this. What if you just put it back together, best you can, super-gluing the T if it's in pieces (and if it's hard plastic), then smother the whole thing with sensor safe silicone RTV (or epoxy) to seal and hold it together?

That, OR, some auto parts stores may carry the right sized T, or get one off a junkyard donor, or measure the vac line diameters and internet search a supplier. I'd start with ebay and amazon as these two tend to have lower than average shipping costs.

2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L V6 SOHC JOB1 (VIN E)

The "T" barb fitting on my Fuel Vapor Return Line (F77Z-9G271-AA) is so embedded in the rubber hose that the only way to remove the T is to slice the hose perpendicular to the barbs and then gently remove the barb fitting. The barb fitting is so incredibly embedded because the rubber hose has become as hard as a "hard line." The rubber hose has zero flexibility. It's going to take some finesse to replace the T.

picture ?

NAPA should have the T and all the rubber hose you'd need to replace the old stuff with new.

I have used varios tee fittings brass or plastic in the past to fix the vapor return line on these gen II's
You do not want to cap it off, you want to fix the plumbing, the parts are available

Back