Accurate Video about Carbon Monoxide Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accurate Video about Carbon Monoxide Issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not only that. that device starts at 100PPM... ****, it will never go off in the Explorer.. they haven't measured anywhere near that.

Not only that. that device starts at 100PPM... ****, it will never go off in the Explorer.. they haven't measured anywhere near that.
Your point is well taken as most of my measurements are in the 8-17 ppm range. However, I measured 114 ppm carbon monoxide on January 21, 2018 in passenger seat area, and gave Ford a picture of the meter display. Currently trying to determine if the meter was cold and caused a false reading or if the reading is legitimate. Will advise of test results.

I agree with the issue of the GULI meter not starting to alarm until it gets to 100 ppm of carbon monoxide, is not satisfactory. However while I was looking for a CO meter that has a data logger; I saw a meter update where the GULI has a second generation meter that alarms at 3 ppm Carbon monoxide. Maybe the second generation meter might work for detecting for CO in the Explorer.

Your point is well taken as most of my measurements are in the 8-17 ppm range. However, I measured 114 ppm carbon monoxide on January 21, 2018 in passenger seat area, and gave Ford a picture of the meter display. Currently trying to determine if the meter was cold and caused a false reading or if the reading is legitimate. Will advise of test results.
The dealer held onto the Ex for 50 days, during that time a field service engineer inspected the vehicle and did not find the Ex to be out of compliance/no trouble found. The suspicion that the carbon monoxide meter may have been cold is a concern, so I will keep the CO meter in the house until we go out in Ex. When the field service engineer went out to test drive the vehicle, it was cold and windy, so if I had to do over again, I would wait until a warn and calm period to get the Ex inspected. From here forward, I bought another carbon monoxide meter with a data logger, so when we go out, I set the meter to sample every 10 seconds for up to three days maximum, I set the alarm LED to activate at 10 ppm. You have to start and stop the meter by plugging it into the USB of your computer. So I will start and stop the meter every three days and record notes of when I drive the Ex. It downloads the results to a chart showing CO readings over time. Consequently, I will collect chart data over the coming months that shows how much carbon monoxide and how long it last before I have to put the windows down at each occurrence. I put a note on my calendar to follow up at the end of Sept 2018.

To get an accurate reading, the vehicle needs to be running in a controlled environment (ei..no wind, not too chilly). A garage with all the doors closed would be a ideal location.

I'll have to disagree with that one Sir.

You are just creating your own private gas chamber....

To get an accurate reading, the vehicle needs to be running in a controlled environment (ei..no wind, not too chilly). A garage with all the doors closed would be a ideal location.........
:laugh:
Not the best idea for one's health.;)

Peter

In the chemical plants or transmission plants we use these.

GasAlert Extreme Single Gas Detector

No Data Logging on this model.

Kind of expensive but better off than being 6 Ft underground.

I personally use the Altair 4X Model

O2, CO, H2S, & Hydrocarbon Explosion Level.

Full data logging, adjustable levels and time \ event stamps.

:fart::dead:

LOL.

I used to spend 2-3 hours of my day testing and calibrating the $550 GasAlert Multi Gas Detectors when I worked for a safety company. The city, state and county were are three biggest customers.

There must be a nuance filter built into my web browser which is stopping my jokes from getting though.. :chug:

Thanks for the clarification....

I was beginning to wonder if the snow had frozen you last brain cells to death????

OK. Heading from Crestview, Florida back to New Orelans, via Applebees for chow.

Then back here tomorrow night to continue with "The Mission".

Hearing odd rumors about going to Vogtle Nuclear Facility for a planned outage later this month....

:fart::dead:

LOL.

I used to spend 2-3 hours of my day testing and calibrating the $550 GasAlert Multi Gas Detectors when I worked for a safety company. The city, state and county were are three biggest customers.

There must be a nuance filter built into my web browser which is stopping my jokes from getting though.. :chug:

Thanks for the clarification....

I was beginning to wonder if the snow had frozen you last brain cells to death????

OK. Heading from Crestview, Florida back to New Orelans, via Applebees for chow.

Then back here tomorrow night to continue with "The Mission".

Hearing odd rumors about going to Vogtle Nuclear Facility for a planned outage later this month....

Nuclear Plants Usually, if you ask for a Dosimeter.

We work inside the "Protected Area" but not in "Containment Zone", radiation levels are usually low.

Refinery's it depends on the process.

If it's a Sour Process (H2S) it is mandatory singular usage.

Saw a "Knock Down" once. The guy had to get pulled by the Safety Team but he made it out OK.

ZERO Warning... That stuff is creepy. He just fell like a bag of rocks...

Most pipeline facilities it's a "General Hot Work" with first pass in the morning and continuous blanket monitoring.

They are usually H2S free.

We are getting off topic here.

In Nukes we work on the "Emergency Generators".

10,000 HP Diesel whose sole function in life is to provide back up power in an "Event".

They sit there with hot oil and hot water all the time.

Ever see a 10,000 HP diesel go from no movement to 100% load in 7 seconds by NRC regulations?

It makes your skin crawl...

No I can get pictures....

I would wind up in a Federal Prison...

I'm in oil/gas, and have utilized this model in the past too. I own one and have been keeping it in my 2017 Explorer since I purchased it new a week ago this past Saturday. Thus far it has registered goose eggs which is what I expected. Am not knocking those who believe they're affected by CO in their Explorer thus I'll keep it in my vehicle just to keep an eye on any potential issues since I'm hauling the grandson quite a bit.

BW.JPG

The dealer held onto the Ex for 50 days, during that time a field service engineer inspected the vehicle and did not find the Ex to be out of compliance/no trouble found. The suspicion that the carbon monoxide meter may have been cold is a concern, so I will keep the CO meter in the house until we go out in Ex. When the field service engineer went out to test drive the vehicle, it was cold and windy, so if I had to do over again, I would wait until a warn and calm period to get the Ex inspected. From here forward, I bought another carbon monoxide meter with a data logger, so when we go out, I set the meter to sample every 10 seconds for up to three days maximum, I set the alarm LED to activate at 10 ppm. You have to start and stop the meter by plugging it into the USB of your computer. So I will start and stop the meter every three days and record notes of when I drive the Ex. It downloads the results to a chart showing CO readings over time. Consequently, I will collect chart data over the coming months that shows how much carbon monoxide and how long it last before I have to put the windows down at each occurrence. I put a note on my calendar to follow up at the end of Sept 2018.

Carbon monoxide test results:
Dates: started the test on March 22, 2018 to present, September 7, 2018
Miles driven: 2,497, (started at 7610 miles up till today at 10,107 miles).
Carbon monoxide occurrences at or above 8 parts per million, (ppm): 10
Carbon monoxide level readings were 25 ppm, 13, 16, 28, 20, 8, 16, 12, 9, and 12 ppm.
To clarify, we had several more occurrences of exhaust odor in the cabin, but there were only 10 instances when we had carbon monoxide levels at 8 ppm or higher.
Test equipment used: EL-USB-C0300 Lascar Carbon Monoxide data logger, range 0-300 ppm
All TSBs and other similar repairs have all been completed by Ford before the beginning of the test.

Wow that's pretty high.

Was the A\C system fresh air intake set to open or set to recirculate cabin air?

Wow that's pretty high.

Was the A\C system fresh air intake set to open or set to recirculate cabin air?

In past experiments, we have found that we got the exhaust odor in the cabin even when the climate control system was off!.
Consequently, we quit checking the status of fresh air or recirculate or if the recirculate automatically turned off during recent testing.
I cannot tell you if these carbon monoxide readings occurred when the climate control was on or off.

Can anyone reccomend a co detector to put in car that you can get on Amazon that is under $50? I've been having dizziness and headaches and would like to make sure this isn't the issue.

So are you not feeling any symptoms? I would assume anything above 10ppm would be bad.
In past experiments, we have found that we got the exhaust odor in the cabin even when the climate control system was off!.
Consequently, we quit checking the status of fresh air or recirculate or if the recirculate automatically turned off during recent testing.
I cannot tell you if these carbon monoxide readings occurred when the climate control was on or off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't installed it yet but I got one for about $6 ish it is a portable stick up type. Turns color when the CO2 reaches a certain point and then when air freshens up again it returns to the normal color. I am trying to find an area to install it in, needs to be near a source but also visible to me or my passengers. There is also another type that plugs into one of the cigarette lighter ports. I would think in the rear cargo area since it would be the most likely source of CO2 intake possibly from open liftgate. Personally a fairly simple stick up should work and provide hopefully advance warning. The Cigarette Lighter type has a color changing LED and audible alarm.

Back