Actual gas mileage of ford explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Actual gas mileage of ford explorers?

Ford Explorer9

Reaction score
I am trying to purchase a 2006-2010 Ford Explorer V8 4x4 to replace my Ford Ranger and I can't seem to figure out what the gas mileage of these things actually is.

I've heard everywhere from 10-25mpg in stock form so if anyone can help clarify by sharing their mpg numbers or in any other way that would be great.

I currently have a 2007 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0 liter manual that I am trying to replace that gets 15 city and 17.5 Highway (31 inch tires don't help and the front CV joint going bad may be hurting it also). I am trying to get at least 21 mpg on the freeway going 70mph and no less than 15 city.

I managed to get 24 mpg on the freeway going 72 mph with my Sisters 2001 Ford Explorer with 170k miles that has never had a tuneup since she bought it with 30k miles. However I keep seeing people claiming terrible gas mileage with these newer explorers no matter what engine they have. So my question is what gas mileage are you getting with your ford explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 07 4.0 (4x4).

I see anywhere from 13-16 around town depending upon the seasonal fuel and how I drive.

On the highway I see anywhere from 19-23 depending upon terrain, but mostly speed traveled. The higher numbers here are from traveling at about 60, but on the flatlands traveling at 70-75 I can get 20-21 depending on wind conditions.

How you drive makes a big difference in city mileage, speed makes the biggest difference on the highway. These things have the aerodynamic profile of a cinder block.

2006 V8 4x4.

Normal day to day suburban driving - 14-17 depending on temp and fuel.
Hwy doing 70-77 18-20 depending on temp and fuel.

Best I have ever done was a bit over 23
Worst was a trip up north when it was no warmer than -20 f with strong head wind Hwy driving I got 12

Those numbers are definitely closer to what I though it was compared to what I have been hearing lately. Did the redesign of the body in 2002 make the ford explorer less aerodynamic? Why does it seem the V8 gets better mileage? Is it because the 6 speed transmission?

Also I live in California and the temps tend to be from 60-75F and I don't think our gas has ethanol. The area I live in isn't quite flat but the inclines are not enough to consider in my opinion. And lastly my driving style is average, except when I want to have little fun haha. Would these characteristics help me attain the higher end of the mpg listed?

Thank you for the information you have provided so far.

I personally do not have any evidence to back this up, but my opinion is that the 6 speed transmission helps with economy on these units, and that the horsepower of the V8 helps overcome the drag of the drive-train on these vehicles. Between the two, the V8 seems like it can do better in certain circumstances, but you notice the highway numbers of mine and bojans differ some. I am pretty consistently 20 or better on the highway (driving the flatlands) at 75. When I slow down to 60 it gets into the 23+ territory. This is with ethanol in the fuel, which decreases the energy density and mileage.

These rides have never been considered fuel sippers.

Yeah 21mpg is the norm for 70-75mph highway-only trims.

I used to get 17.5 mpg on my suburban commute, but now that my wife has it to drive the kids around town she's getting around 16 mpg.

yup 100% go for the v8.

also after i did the K&N air intake it went up by 1-2 MPG highway. then went back down because my foot was happy lol then went down again when i did the 3" exhaust because my foot and ears where happy lol :D

Back